Prairie Tree #2

This is the same tree from the image I posted last. A little different light and different composition. I did appreciate everyone that took the time to comment on my post.
All comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D, Sigma 10-20, 1/80, f16, ISO 100, 10 mm

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Richard, I especially like the shadow of the tree in the foreground. The contrast between the grass in the shade and the golden one lit by the sun is very striking. The cloud seems to be a perfect combination for this, too, especially with its wispy nature going to the upper left and right corner of the image. My suggestion is to remove the magenta in the clouds. I think the tint doesn’t really fit in with the sun still this high. This is a very nice image!

Very nice, Richard. Well-balanced composition and beautiful backlighting. Processing looks good but I think the white point needed to be pushed a bit further as the highlighted grasses seem a little muddy.

1 Like

This is very nice, Richard. I like how the warm light bathes the foreground grasses and also how the wispy clouds seem to radiate from the tree.

Richard, the backlighting works nicely to showcase the tree and the foothills beyond, and it’s good that you took care to position the camera so as to avoid any obvious hotspots. The off center placement of the tree worked out quite well, too. Nice light and atmosphere throughout as well.

Richard, I like the strong radial effect the image has, with all the shadows and clouds. The colors look very good here, I like that you kept the sky a little cooler for some color contrast with the grasses. And I think you kept just the right level of detail in the tree. I do agree with @Dave_Dillemuth, I could see some dodging of the highlights in the grasses to add some more vitality to the foreground.

This is quite nice, Richard. I would agree with Dave on working the grasses. Also, I would clone out the building ? to the right of the trunk just below the first branch.

I like how you’ve changed your composition so that the clouds work well with the tree. I agree with other other comments and can only add one suggestion. I’m not sure of your intent with the sun star. It’s smaller with a better star effect, but it is not complete and is a little distracting for that reason. You might try to have a full sun star or no sun star on your next visit.

Richard,

Very clear why this is a “go to” tree and location; same tree, location with quite a different impression than your previous post. Of course passing time has all to do with it.

I think the colors here are more natural and less difficult to deal with and I think you’ve nailed it here. Great sky and back lighting.

I’m a bit with Chris on the sun star. A bit of a " 'tweaner" - meaning wishing for more of a presence or none at all. I’m guessing you captured multiples, so am wondering if the choice was to minimize the sun here? A beautiful scene and capture regardless.

Lon

Beautifully composed, Richard ! A dynamic image with the clouds arching over the tree and the deep shadows in the fg.