Sunrise at Cedar Canyon

This tree has been a good model for me. If I don’t have a vision of what I want to shoot around here I go out to this lone tree and wait for the light to do something at sunrise. It has given me several images that I am very pleased with. It has become an old friend. I personally really like the light and the sky in this shot.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D, Sigma 10-20, 1/20 sec., f16, 12mm, 100 ISO, tripod and remote release

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I think this is a very compelling composition, Richard. I like the minimalist take on the scene and the clouds are pretty! I am not a fan of the color, however. I think it is a little on the side of being too warm. I would like to see the blue sky the be a little more blue. The sunstar is not exactly the most pleasing for my taste but that’s pretty much a lens property.

Richard. I can see why this tree has become an old friend. This is a beautiful image with the lone tree and rolling hills. To me the colors look as I would expect as the sunrise sun warms the hills. I think the color in the sky is perfect and well balanced with the foreground colors. Yes the sun star is not the best but overall a very nice image.

Overall I like what you have done with this shot, Richard. The wispy clouds add a lot of interest in the sky and the warm light brings out the foreground grasses nicely. The composition does feel a bit heavy on the left hand side, but I’m not quite sure what I would have done differently other than centering the tree which might have actually worked in this case. Either way this is still a nice image.

Richard,

A beautiful sunrise for sure. I think we all must have one (or more) “go-to” trees or scenes - I know I have a few. And if they’re close enough to home base, all you have to do is jump when that phenomenal light or weather conditions hit.

Hard to be critical of the colors, or anything else here as any suggestions are purely subjective, right? This works beautifully as presented. I also like Adhika’s suggestion of getting a little more blue out of the sky; perhaps a blend/mask to retain the warmth of the sun and foreground… just thinking out loud.

Oh, and I’m also good with the comp as captured. The distant hills on the right work pretty well as a balancing element to the big tree and I like being able to see and explore the expanse of the landscape.

Lon

Richard, I can see why this tree is a good friend. I like this composition, there is enough going on in the distant landscape and in the clouds to create interest in the right half of the image, and balance the tree. I love your processing of the backlit grasses, the light looks both very rich and natural at the same time. Good placement of the sun in the tree, the sunstar shape is not the best, but you got good rays.

I agree with @Adhika_Lie and @Lon_Overacker, increasing some blue/cyan in parts of the sky would create some better color contrast. This of course is very subjective personal taste, but i think it would play well in this image, and actually enhance the way the landscape looks.

This is beautiful, Richard. Nicely framed with good over balance. I agree with others that the overall color balance is a bit too warm. The warm color balance is fine in the highlights but I’d try cooling down the shadow areas.

Hard to find a problem with this image…the light is great, the sky is interesting and beautifully shaded, and there is wonderful detail. I like the light on the grass blooms under the tree and in the fg in general. The hills are interesting.

Nice.

P.S. In response to those who mentioned that this image is a bit warm, I cooled it down a bit and then felt that it needed to be brightened up. This was a good exercise for me because I did not notice that there might be too much warmth.

You’ve got a really warm cast going on here, I’d try cooling down the white balance a bit to get some better tonality and color contrast throughout the scene. I’m also not crazy about the sunstar being so close to the left edge and the right side feeling so empty. Doesn’t feel balanced compositionally to me.

Richard, I see why you like this tree. I like the colors and though they are “rich” they are not hdr garish. I think this tree could be used for a 4 seasons collection especially if it’s close to you. The sunstar does not work for me as it is too thick and distracts from the overall composition and might add to the unbalance feel to the photo.