Desert Sunrise

This was shot looking south from Dug Out Wells in Big Bend National Park. Anyone that has looked at a lot of my images know I like big skies and sunrises. I personally like the soft gentle nature of the early morning in this place.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, 1/8 sec, 16 mm, ISO 100, 17mm, tripod and remote release

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I would like a general critique of the image.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Richard, this is a magical sunrise. The tonality here is pretty much spot on. I personally would like to see more of that foreground and perhaps a little less sky but that’s my personal preference in composition and I understand where you are coming from.

I can’t help but notice strange patterns in the FG, almost like a canvas… Did you apply a texture on the image?

Interesting and unique shot Richard, I really enjoy the nice colors and realistic editing. When I open the image up it appears to be a bit of noise and loss of detail. I’m not familiar with the 7D but perhaps bracketing would help with such a high dynamic range shot? Also, just a small thing but I would clone stamp out some of the sign posts in the foreground that are reflecting light.

I’m a little torn about the composition, I like the story of the big expansive sky, the colors, the layers in the background and the overall peaceful mood but it’s not creating much eye movement for me.

Cool Shot Richard, I think the editing on the sky is spot on. I would also like a little bit more foreground, to me the small sliver that’s there leaves me wanting more and doesn’t give my eye enough room to wander.

I agree with Blake about bracketing the shots, I shot with the 7d for years and the raw files just don’t give you much leeway with opening up the shadows. I know that textured look at the bottom all too well from trying to push the limits of my 7d for years.

Great colour and the right amount of contrast for me on this one.

I like how you’ve made the subject the sky and made it the headliner as opposed to it accompanying the landscape.

Richard, I think your processing of the sky is just perfect, it looks very natural. This sunset is strong enough that I’m good with the land to sky ratio that you used. In terms of the land, the distant hazy mountains are more interesting than the foreground vegetation, and your composition wisely minimizes the foreground. If your ethics allow it, I would clone away the small building and a few other hot spots in the LLC. I also find the tree right at the frame edge in the LRC to be a minor distraction, I would crop from the right to remove it.

Richard,

This is quite beautiful. You mention the “soft gentle nature…” and that is my impression too; especially the colors. Wonderful the way you’ve processed/presented such vibrant sunrise colors in such a gentle, yet real way. Excellent.

I also like the presence of the fog/haze in the far landscape.

Maybe a slight increase in contrast in the foreground as the “softness” there comes across as slightly muddy?

Hard to be critical here. A very quiet and peaceful image.

Lon

I like the gradations of color in the sky, and the overall comp. When I expand the image, I can see the texture in the bottom that others mention, so I think I would agree with trying bracketing. I really like that big sky, and the comp of the trees and landscape in the FG and BG works well. I do agree that those signs could benefit from being cloned out or simply darkened, so they don’t show up so brightly.
The overall feel of this is really nice.