Aspenglow

Here is another image from my recent trip to Colorado. I most often prefer to shoot these kind of scenes in softer more even lighting. However, I couldn’t resist trying to capture the dramatic backlighting that was causing these aspen to glow.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I would like your thoughts on the processing. I am used to shooting these smaller scenes in more diffused even light and often struggle to process backlit subjects.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Although I’m generally pleased with the composition all comments and critiques are welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

300 mm
f/8 @ 1/400 sec
ISO 100
Single Exposure capture

Levels adjustment to adjust global contrast. Selective color adjustment to bring up the yellows (just a little) in the neutral channel (Thanks David!). Very slight color balance adjustment moving from majenta to green (just +2). TK’s Make it Glow action at 25% opacity.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I think a lot of great images can be made in what I used to think was less optimal light. My buddy on my latest trip pointed that out and I see his point. I might burn down the top lay of aspen just a bit along the upper edge, but otherwise, this looks really good. It really pops well.

There is indeed something special about backlit trees. The light works gorgeously to bring out the color variations in the image. Very well done, Brian.

I think this is very good, Brian. There seems to be these almost distinct layers of color. I tried a crop from the left to just inside the bright aspen along the edge. There is a texture change along that edge where you see more of the vertical trunks vs. the general field of color. I don’t know if that makes sense or not or even if it would be an improvement, just something that sticks out to me. The processing looks great to my eye. There is a pop and it’s not overdone.

Beautiful light for this scene, the colors pop and the backlight seems to create nice depth. After looking at the image for a bit longer, I think that a small crop from the left could look nice, as Gary suggests. When the bright yellow tree on the edge is not visible it’s a bit easier to stay in the middle of the image. Very subtle change, but maybe you like it too.

Bryan, the glowing trees look great. Your distribution of shapes and colors works very well. I find the triangular “collection of trunks” that show on the left and intriguing change from the collection of tree tops in the lower right. Definitely a beauty.