Aspen Light

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

The light attracted me to this aspen. Any and all comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Light in the forest. Yes. You’re going to give @Ben_van_der_Sande a run for his money as he is usually quite good at this sort of thing. You could make a find vertical of the right part of the image.

1 Like

Great image, Mario. I think the way the light is, it adds a sense of order to the chaos. I’m drawn into this. Well done.

1 Like

Hey Mario! Really cool composition. Light is definitely important and it’s obvious why you took this photo. Love the shot. The processing is a little heavy for me, maybe something more subtle when it comes to contrast might make the photo even more compelling.

2 Likes

I was going to make a similar comment. I think its just too obvious that you used a radial filter in LR to make that area of the image brighter. It’s better to do this sort of dodging more selectively, IMO.

1 Like

Mario,

Good to see a post from you! Love the layout and composition here; there is great depth and actually almos a 3-D effect given the way the boles arrangement kind of bends inward, if that makes sense.

I like the spot light effect in the grove, but also think think it’s a bit heavy. The part that stands out the most to me are the white-hot trunks. I know that if there is direct sun, clearly they would be brighter than those who don’t have direct sun on them. For me though, those pure white trunks look a bit unnatural. Hard to recommend without the original, but I think there is great potential here. Again, love the set up, but the hot trunks are taking away, IMHO.

Lon

1 Like

Yeah true. And even more direct selection with luminosity masking if you’re into that kind of thing.

Mario, To me a great piece of art !

2 Likes

I think this scene has great potential but as others have noted, I think there is just a little bit too much contrast here. I would slightly lower the exposure on the right side and bring up the exposure slightly on the left side to better balance the image and reduce the contrast between the two sides of the image. You certainly do have some killer light here and I totally get why you took this image. Great find. I also think this could work well as a vertical image using the right side of the image and slightly reworking the light.

1 Like