Critique Guest - David Thompson

Our special guest for December is the unbelievably talented @David_Thompson! You can learn more about David and his work at https://www.davidthompsonphotography.com/

The theme David has selected is ‘Landscape Photography’, any natural landscape will be accepted whether grand or intimate. David is also an incredible drone photographer, so please feel free to submit drone or aerial images as well!

On December 5th you may begin submitting images (only 1 per day, please) based on the theme. You will have three days to submit images, and the guest will have five days to respond. Please limit images to landscapes whether they are grand or intimate.

This event is only open to NPN members. If you are not a member yet, please Join Now!

3 Likes

Hi David,
Thanks for providing your expert eyes. Unfortunately I don’t have anything recent to submit but I still hope to learn from the critiques of others work.
Sincere Regards,
George

George! No problem man! Hopefully you will pick up a few tips from the other critiques. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to me!

DT

Hi David,
I really enjoy viewing your work. It is inspiring.
Besides having no recent landscapes to submit, I am very old school. Meaning I started photography long before digital. The majority of my landscape work is film and slide that has been scanned to digital. Long explanation aside, I’ve never learned digital editing very well, except just very rudimentary adjustments like exposure, cropping, dodging, and burning. Frankly, I never cared to learn digital editing. It always seemed to be over my head with way too many options. I just never seemed to have the patience or ability to understand what adjustment to use.
As a result, because I don’t feel my photos have that ‘polished’ look, I don’t submit photos to critique or even just share to forums like NPN, except an occasional wildlife photo for identification assistance.
Do you feel it’s ok to submit a photo for critique with no digital editing to get just critique on composition and basic exposure or is it a waste of time? I hope my question makes sense and I apologize for the length.

Sincere Regards
George

“In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

1 Like

George

Hello, thanks for the message! By all means…YES! Definitely submit an image regardless of your skill level. In this community the skillset is all across the board. And the members here in the community are willing to help out. I think you would be perfectly fine submitting something that works for you. For me when I critique peoples images, its not about the image being great or bad, but more of opening the persons mind to look at the landscape, post processing, and or practices/principles in a way that is productive and meaningful for one to expand their perspective/knowledge.

DT

Hi David, thanks for your kind encouragement. I have to make clear, I’m not a beginner. I’ve been a member of NPN since it’s original owners.
However, you’re correct, my post-processing skills are lacking so my images don’t have that slick ultra refined look. So, I don’t submit images for critique because most critiques seem to be about how to post-processing not the image itself.

1 Like