Crown Shyness

Image Description

Visited my go to location after a overnight snowfall to explore my favourite woodlands. After going through my usual compositions from the place, I started roaming around the area and looking for stuff that catches my eye. Due to it being winter, al the leaves that I am normally always blanketed by were all gone, and I could see the canopy of the pines revealed to me, and their patterns. Had a jolly good time exploring these patterns.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Would love to know your opinions on this. Any and all feedback is of course welcome.

Technical Details

ISO 100, 55mm, f/8, 1/25s - three images focus stacked.

2 Likes

What a wonderful version of a popular favourite. I’m a sucker for contorted pine like these - they’re like our Scot’s Pine. You’ve got a nice reaching touch like the creation of Adam.

There are a couple of improvements I think you can make, and not really to the composition, just a slight crop difference. Also it looks like you’ve used a highlight recovery tool to try to recover the sky highlights but it’s made the snow highlights a bit grey. I’ve made some local brightness changes to lift these.

The crop is to get rid of the sky area at the bottom left edge as it’s attracting my eye away from the ‘touching branches’.

I hope you think it’s useful… I personally think this would do well in competition, it’s got the right ‘intrigue and novelty’ that judges tend to like…

a

A really cool find Subhasish and nicely composed. Love the contrasted hues of brown, green, and white. The twisty, curvy tree trunks and branches invite exploration throughout the image. My one thought is if you had included a bit more of the tree on the left, it would have provided a nice leading line into the image and retained enough on the right for balance.

Unique perspective and I enjoy the subject matter. I think the composition here works as well. Difficult scene to make perfect, but it’s close enough!