Desert Dawn

A buddy and I hiked out into this Utah area in the dark with a particular setup and image in mind. As is generally the case for me, images I plan for usually don’t happen but other things tend to present themselves, as is the case here. I find this image very simple and serene. The foreground merely anchors the scene and really does not contribute other than a mild sense of place. I really enjoy the mood.

D850, 14-24mm (a lens I rarely use)

And it does remind me of Utah, Harley. It is peaceful and relaxing. I like the colors in the sky too. There’s quite a bit of vignetting on the upper corners. Not sure if correcting that would change the feel…Either way, it’s a winning image.

Just like your previous image, Harley, the sky is really glorious. I love the concentration of clouds in the middle and I agree, the ground adds that sense of place. Thanks for sharing this. It’s comforting to know that I am not alone in this

A really chamber of commerce sky here, Harley. The centered cluster of clouds really makes this scene with color and contours… :+1:
Utah seems to have plenty of photo opportunities almost every sunrise and sunset… :cowboy_hat_face:

I like this image for it’s ability to convey both a sense of simplicity and grand scale at the same time. Showing so much of the blue sky works very well here in that regard.

My only nitpick is that the luminosity of sky on the left is much darker than the sky on the right. It may be due to using a polarizing filter? I would like to see that sky luminosity more balanced. Using a gradient mask to slightly increase midtone luminosity to the left 1/3 of the image might help.