Devil's Divide

I loved the formation of the rocks in the background of this photo. I climbed out into the Bruel river just above Devils Kettle Falls to get this image. (Being careful not to back up to far as the falls behind me were pretty tall.) I set up the tripod fairly low to get the rock in the foreground just to have some foreground interest.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
Focus stacked,
Two images First focused on the foreground rock, Second on the Background rock.

Canon EOS R
2 Sec. @ f9
ISO 100, 105mm

todd.higgins
1 Like

Hi Todd, and welcome!
I like your title. That rock formation in the background is really interesting, I see why it caught your eye. There is darkness there!
Your focus stacking created wonderful textures and details in all the boulders, and is a nice contrast to the fast flowing smooth water. Congrats, and I’m glad you stayed safe in the water.

Hi Todd! Really awesome first image. I can hear the rushing water and feel the thrill of balancing on the wet rocks! Welcome to NPN!

Hi Todd. Welcome to NPN. I hope you find NPN to be as engaging and helpful as I have. Keep posting. I like the composition and the simplicity of this image. The fork (divide) in the cascade gives the image nice geometry. The contrast is also effective. I looked at the histogram of the image, and it appears that the whites may be a tad blown out. If you have detail here, you might lower the highlights on the water some and see how it looks. One more thought - do you intend for the orange rock in the LRC to be there? It’s nice detail, but is a bit distracting to me as I look at the flow of the water.

Larry thank you for your reply. I did struggle with the orange lichen in the corner, I decided to keep it for the texture, and because I could crop it out in a way that worked for me.

Again thanks.

Welcome to NPN and a nice first post. I am particularly drawn to the reflected light in the wet rock and the warm light on the upper rock. One option on the orange lichen is to desaturate it, retaining the texture and drawing a little less attention to it?

I am looking forward to seeing more of your work and reading your insights and thoughts on the work of others.

Todd, welcome to NPN, this is a great first post !!!

You have some interesting shapes and and strong diagonal lines, it’s a very graphic look that borders on being abstract image. I can see why this is named Devils Kettle, what a neat looking place. I agreed with @Harley_Goldman about de-saturating the orange lichen to retain texture (rather than cloning it away). This will help keep the viewers attention in the center of the image.

I also agree with @Larry_Greenbaum , the whites in the water look like they are right on the edge of clipping, so I would pull them back. I would do that only in the water, you don’t want to crush the highlights in the rocks.