Dogwood Blues: The Family Tree

More dogwood over the Merced. This is a wider view of the one I posted about 2 weeks ago. I’m a little bummed that most of the flowers aren’t tack-sharp, but I think looks good enough for the small web views.

As always, would love your comments, critiques and suggestions. Thank!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I’m especially interested in the processing: color, saturation, etc. I’ve processed, changed and redone this several times. At some point, you just have to step back and walk away. So posting now to see if I need to go in a different direction or if I’m close.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @68mm, f/16 1.3s iso 200.
I “extended” the canvas on the right edge. Original has the dangling rh branch breaching the edge of the frame. I extended the canvas, did a narrow marquee selection, used the “scale” option of the Free Transform tool to stretch. Then a little bit of cloning cleanup to get the separation of the closest dogwood bloom and leaves.

Processing looks great to me, Lon. You are the master of these scenes of branches overhanging a BG river. I love the yellow interspersed in the water flow. I would like to see a little of that in the LLC.
:vulcan_salute:

Why did I know this was yours Lon? Lovey image. Nice exposure for the water and I just love the delicate branches and contrasts. I think the sharpness of the branches makes this work just fine.

Lovely image, Lon. One of your best in this genre. Again, it’s a question of how big to make the flowers within the image and this may be the optimum distance. At this distance the small bumps in the branches are unnoticeable compared to the large arcs. A very Japanese feel to it, in the manner they paint there cherry trees when in bloom. The 3 sweeping arcs really make this composition. There is good separation between branches and water. This may sound real picky, but I would ‘shave’ off all those dark bumps, particularly the big one. They don’t fit in with the statement. Great work.

2 Likes

The processing looks just fine to me, Lon. I think the blue/gold color reflected in the water of the Merced works beautifully as does the dogwood limbs entering from the top of the frame which lends a delicate oriental feel to the scene. It is a bummer about the leaves not being tack sharp as you mentioned. This might work well as photo art by using the oil paint filter. I have a couple of my images with sharpness or DOF issues which I have not deleted because I am considering going in that direction with them.

Hey Lon,

Another strong image from the Merced. You’re building a nice series on this subject.

I like the cooler colour processing on this one. For me the analogous colour theme between the water and the leaves works well and is fitting for a snow melt river.

2 Likes

Lovely Asian feel, with perfect comp and settings for the background. The dark branches are nice and sharp, so the minor movement from the wind doesn’t bother me.

1 Like

Lon, I love the cool blue tones here, and your processing has achieved very good separation of the tree branches from the water. I really like the “spidery” looking arrangement of the branches, it creates a very delicate feeling in this image. You have become the master of these type of shots, they are much harder to do than one would think, and your collection of these makes it look much easier than it really is.

1 Like

A “typical”, beautifully done dogwood against the river scene from you, Lon. The twisted branches with scattered flowers and new leaves meander through the frame perfectly. The flowing water background adds some fine gentle colors. I’m astonished that you had such little air movement, which is what makes this view special. At NPN viewing sizes the flowers and leaves look decently sharp.

Thank you all very much for the comments and observations!

Thanks for your thoughtful comments Igor. I was wondering how before someone would mention that thick section of branch. I had contemplated doing what you suggested. I will likely do that for any future version or print. Good call.

Thanks Ed. Ya know, I never play with those artistic/stylistic filters - well, at least to the extent that I would ever show an image. But your comment did entice me to play around with the oil painting filter - and it’s pretty cool! I see what you mean being able to turn something not quite sharp enough in to something that can still be created and played with. Still, something I’m not keen on showing.

I think I may have another one, or two. But for now, on to something different… Thanks so much!