Drought

You don’t have to wander to far in the desert to see how dry it is. I like to photograph dried mud and believe me there is plenty off it now because of the severe drought that’s happening in Utah.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 6D, 180 macro, tripod

4 Likes

A great find! I love the blues and grays to set off the salmon colors. Well done!

This is excellent Gerald! Textbook repeating elements shot! The pattern goes from edge to edge and you are spare on to the plane of the ground. Finally you have a nice dynamic line coming from the bottom left corner into the 2/3’s of the image.

Composition wise I only have a minor suggestion that may or may not improve upon what you’ve already captured and that is there is another diagonal line in the bottom right hand corner. I’d work on getting that to meet right in the corner. And if you can, then try to find another line in the top left corner you could match up.

Other than that minor adjustment, your image is well executed.

incredible abstract. Colors are beautiful. Looks almost like brain coral, or fingers, or …

This is a really nice abstract. I wouldn’t have guessed this to be dried mud without having read it. It looks like a modern painting, modern art. It’s a beautiful pattern with colors that go well together. Compositions like this are harder to make than it seems. It appears to be a random shot but it’s anything but. Not much to suggest here. There is a bright triangle in the upper left corner and one in the lower right. There is a strong, dominant pattern center right that could be built around by cropping from the left and right side. I would do minor crops to eliminate the said triangles.

Interesting abstract Gerald especially since from the thumbnail I could not tell what it was. I agree with the others that the salmon and blue is a great color combo.

This is a beautiful abstract, with a wonderful set of colors and patterns. The curls in the dried mud are just wonderful and are very attention grabbing. Agree with the others, that hint of blue works great with the rest of the color palette.

My only nitpick is that the sharpness drops off a bit near the top, especially in the upper left corner. Sometimes its hard to get your sensor aligned parallel, this type of image might have been a candidate for using focus stacking to expand DOF.

Hi Gerald,

I like this one as presented. Colors are fantastic. Well done…Jim

A great abstract! The colors are great and I really like that the cracks here have developed the larger areas between the crust parts, I guess due to the severe droughht.

This is a really nice abstract image. The various shapes and textures hold my interest throughout the frame. The image does feel a bit soft, but I suspect that is simply due to web compression. Nicely done!

Just a really beautiful abstract photo. I too would never have guessed this is dried mud. The orange with the blue is what makes this so intriguing to me. You could certainly play with numerous crops on this image but I do like it as presented. As Ed said, there appears to be some softness in the upper third of the image and towards the edges a little bit. Minor nits for sure as this is a wonderfully seen and composed image.
Yep, the drought is bad everywhere west of the Rockies. Seattle is going to be close to 115 degrees for a few days. JEEEEEEZ! Those folks don’t have any air conditioning. Scary.

You get an A+ for seeing with this image. Well done. Stay cool.

While I feel both the blue and the red hues are a bit unrealistically saturated, the fact that they’re contrasting colors creates a really strong image. Given that there’s no accurate reference for the true color here, these strong colors feel more acceptable.