Early Spring Hyacinths

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I loved this grouping of hyacinths the moment I saw it at the Biltmore Estate (Asheville, NC). I shot three images with different focus points to highlight areas of the flowers that I wanted to be sharper or softer, then combined them in Photoshop’s photo merge. PS I’m not sure why, but the image here has more of a yellow cast than my original…).

Specific Feedback

I’d appreciate feedback on the overall image, the points of sharpness and softness especially. Thanks!

Technical Details

Canon EOS RP; 105 mm macro lens; ISO 200, f/3.5, 1/80 sec.; focus stack; 1:3 aspect ratio.

2 Likes

A gorgeous composition, Susanna. I love the light and depth of field you used. The way the bloom nestle into the leaves is “charming” to use an old term. With this tall, narrow presentation (which I think is perfect for this) you might want to put a very thin border around the edge to separate it from the darker background or those of us that prefer the dark theme.

Gorgeous, and indeed charming! I love the visual lines of the flowers and the subdued, rich greens of the leaves. Cool crop!

When I download and open it in PS I don’t get a color space mismatch warning, which means you uploaded it in AdobeRGB (my working space). Browsers can be variable in how they deal with colors that are not in sRGB. Re-try with a conversion to sRGB, and to cover bases, embed the profile. Add the new version to the initial post for easy comparison, and see if that fixes the issue.

I export from LR with a preset and the settings I use take care of conversion and embedding. Some of the export options from PS look suspect so the only one I ever use is the legacy Export > Save for Web, where I can specify what I want.

Thanks, Dennis! I hadn’t thought about the border issue before. Thanks for that tip.

Diane, thanks!

I use Adobe RGB on my camera and LR & PS, import and organize in Lightroom (and do a little basic work), and export to a folder for Photoshop follow-up. I don’t work from LR like so many people do. I like to keep my layers in PS. I export lores images from PS using Save for Web, in which I usually use sRGB. It depends on the end use. I’ll take a look to see how it was set. Thanks!

You just neglected to reset the color space in the export. Definitely keep all layers in the PS master file!!

You’re right, Diane! Thanks for the reminder.