Eastern Hardwood Forest

This was near the area in NC where my ancestors lived in the late 1700s. Maybe it’s something genetic but I’m very drawn to these forests. They have a sort of mysticism to me that I hoped to convey with this image.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D3, 24-70 at 70, ISO 1600, f/8, 1/180. Considerable messing around with PS filters which unfortunately are not noted in the file. This is one I had no desire to try to “update.”

1 Like

Diane, this is an intriguing, somewhat abstract forest view. The mix of dark trunks and some branches with the lighter fill of leaves looks very good and is nicely balanced. The two bits of bright leaves are a good addition and give a bit of pop to the view.

This improves with size. The thumbnail was meh, it seemed mushed up. Because it was B&W I clicked to see the page. Then I clicked again then a fourth time to see the maximum size. So it started at meh, went to Oh!, then Wow!, then finally Great! It became more organized and defined each time. The highlighted leaves in front of the tree on the right help to balance what otherwise may have been a left heavy composition. As size goes up, the dark branches become more and more important as design elements and add a second reading to the image. Additionally, they help separate out the jumble of the background. Well done.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver and @Guy_Manning! An image worked up on a big monitor can take on a different look when it’s “miniaturized” for web display. I’m so glad we can post images here that can be enlarged. This one is definitely on the subtle side and might be tweaked for midtone contrast.

Just for any interest, here’s a version I did at the same time, with a very heavy duotone.