Eastern Screech Owl

To find him high in the dead tree in one of the oldest cemetary in New England was beyond words. As you can see she blends in so well it is hard to believe I saw this little owl. I took several picture all with eyes closed but then a pileated woodpecker began his knocking loudly on the tree next to us and the Screech Owl opened his eyes for a quick shot and then actually turned around and went into his hole in the tree. I used a long lens and cropped off most of the sky to the left.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all suggestions are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon Z7_2 camera
Nikon 500mm lens 5/6 = Shutter Speed 1/800 sec, F11, ISO 560, Manual mode

4 Likes

Hi Norma
I blew by this photograph, asking my self why are you shooting a old tree stump and on a closer look, the answer is Mother Nature did some great work in hiding this Eastern Screech Owl and you have great eye , to have spotted this owl and compose this shot. Nice work.
Peter

1 Like

Very nice!! Good focus on the owl. I like the framing from the OOF limbs and wonder if there was a little more canvas above and to the left?

1 Like

yes there was a great deal of canvas, I choose to crop it out

Norma, Iā€™m so glad that you saw her and able to capture this image. I have yet to see an owl in the wild while having my camera with me. She sure does blend in with the tree she is in.

1 Like