Enjoying the view

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was a foggy day and so I ventured out to see what I would see. Some gray days, you just have to get outside and get some fresh air, regardless of the weather.

Technical Details

Shot in aperture mode, f.8.

4 Likes

Hi Judi, I like your image with a dual significance in it. I see a tree disappearing so to speak, to change in a bench!!
The tree is disolving into the mist, while the bench is sharp and clear and dominant in the composition. A picture with a message in it.
Well done, you made me think about what we all do with the trees in the world.
There is also a very strong composition, the lines of the bench and the line of the footpath, the semicircle under the bench and the position of trunk of the tree just a little above the bench, all those give the image a strong tension.
The B&W is the right choise for this fascinating photo.

1 Like

Hi, thank you so much for your thoughts and critique. I do appreciate it. Sometimes we have foggy day after foggy day, and then I’m thankful that I have photography in my life, so i can get out and shoot and not be stuck inside. I also think about all we do to tree’s and what we get from them. They are so important to us in so many different ways. Thank you again.

Judi, when I saw this, I just thought, what a classic and timeless looking image. I also like @HennyJA take on the play between the tree and bench. Overall I like the tones of the light tree and dark bench as well. Only small suggestion would be a little more space on the right side of the image, if it’s there. It seems a little too tight on the bench. A little more room there would almost invite someone to sit and enjoy the fog and the tree. Nicely seen.

Thanks very much. I’m sure I could add a little more space on the right side of the image. Don’t think it’s there…I had on a longer lens, and I was shooting something else when I saw this. So, I was kind of as far away from it as I could be, with the lens I had. And I believe there were other trees that were not as “nicely shaped” as this one. I did enjoy the fog, for sure. Thank you again for your kind critique.

Hi @Judi_Hastings. This is a very captivating image. I love the balance, flow, and mystery of it and, as Patrick mentioned, you’ve achieved a classic and timeless feel. The shapes of the other trees barely visible in the background fog add a good sense of dimensionality too. I hadn’t really thought about the balance issue until you pointed out that the bench is a bit tight on the right but I think the overall aesthetic renders this a pretty minor thing. Ver well done!

Thank you very much Ric. I appreciate your feedback. Yes, I do have to do something on that right side. I will work on it. It wasn’t really a “planned shot”, but rather something I just saw on the way back to my car. Thank you again.

Hi, I like the replies on this photo, those are right if you look at the aesthetic side of these image. But I can only see the other side, the double layer. I see an indictment: mankind is using nature, the tree are capped for use, not only for survival, but for our high standard for living (a bench to relax on). Then you are looking with other eyes and all tension increases the image, the tension between the right side and the bench becomes a part of it. Please try to look with other eyes!