Fallen hero

After work I went to a place nearby with large oaks on a field and planned to photograph them against dramatic clouds. However when I got there the sun was bright and harsh so I had to enter the forest for shade and softer light. After walking around I found this scene. Unfortunately, I had to hurry photographing since a nasty thunderstorm was moving in. Wasn’t sure if I got the image that I wanted but I was pleased with the result I saw when got home. I think I will return to this place in November with mist and cold blue light… I will be happy to read you suggestions for improving the image both in regard to processing and composition (the location is reasonably close so I can return and try again)

Specific Feedback Requested

All feed-back is very welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
1/13 sec, ISO 160, f/11 and 70 mm

The image was processed mostly in LR and a key thing was to reduce saturation of the greens and recovery of highlights. In PS I used Lab-colors to “extract” more color variation in the foliage.

@johanlennartsson.se
4 Likes

Johan, to me the real imaging with light. All in a well thought out composition. Well done !

1 Like

Johan, a forest with such nice moss and ferns is definitely worth planning some return trips. I agree with @Ben_van_der_Sande, this image has gorgeous light, and you worked the light in this scene very well. The light pulls my eye from the mossy rock, to the fallen tree, and then to the background. You reinforced this use of light with a well balanced composition too. The diagonal flow of the rock and tree add a lot to the image. For an image you rushed to avoid the thunderstorm, this looks very well thought out

My only suggestion would be to try to minimize the minor distraction of the white sky patches at the top. I think a combination of some cloning, and maybe a very small crop from the top, would do the job. But this is a nitpick, overall you have a great image here,

1 Like

Thanks a lot Ben for your nice comment!

Thanks a lot Ed, I am happy you liked the image and composition. I see what you mean with the bright patches and I will try to clone them away.

Johan, this has a great kind of fairy tale feel to it, like I could imagine magical creatures flying around or a unicorn grazing. This is the type of image that I am always amazed that people are able to make out of a chaotic scene. Everything is perfectly placed. Nicely seen.

One thing I would suggest is to clone out the few small pieces of leaves on the left edge near the top. Also, the brown foliage in the left and right background is a bit distracting to me, so if you’re comfortable painting a little green over those areas, that may be helpful.

1 Like

Wow Johan! The composition and subject are very appealing to me. You have created interesting layers of contrasting textures, light and shapes. I wondered what a more narrow shaft of light might do to the image, particularly whether it might increase the feeling of a fallen hero. I used a darkening curves layer in a portion of the top.

1 Like

Absolutely stunning!

All the elements fall together and the atmosphereics are extra ordinary!

Namaste

1 Like

My first response was a mirror of Craig’s - a fairy tale feel. It’s a mix of the colour palette, the lighting and the depth. I like @Dick_Knudson 's rework - a little moodier - but your original is compelling. Beautifully seen and composed.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your comment Craig! I will see what happens when I paint with green in the areas you suggested.

Thanks a lot for commenting on my image. I like the edit you have made! I agree that a shaft of light would have been great. Maybe I will try a bit of Photoshop light just to see what happens to the image!

Thanks a lot for your comment Paul. Appreciated!

Thanks a lot Kerry for your comment. I also like the rework so I am change my image accordingly!

I am coming late! I love lights and colors soft and mute that create the atmosphere of a tangled forest. All has been said.

I love how the light coming through the forest canopy is spotlighting on the “fallen hero”. It’s kind of a beautiful but sad feeling to the scene. But I like it, it tells a story. Nicely captured!

1 Like

I can’t tell you how much I love this image. I loved it from the moment it appeared on my monitor. It’s excellent. It works on many levels but most important is how much meaning this simple composition contains. To me it’s about life itself. It obviously is a statement about our mortality but the young sapling says that from the end there come new beginnings. And of course the light penetrating the entire scene tells us that it the source of all life. And then there’s the rock, an important element. What can we deduce from it? Perhaps it’s the anchor of life that gives it purpose. All in all it’s a beautiful statement that is clearly and directly stateed.

The other thing that struck me is how different this is from modern photography. I feel as though I’m looking at a 19th century work by the Romantics. It’s not the subject matter but how it is presented. There is no attempt to create a design within a frame with the minimal amount of components. It’s just a depiction of reality, a straight direct shot. Personally I find that refreshing. The viewer is not being wowed with lines, shapes, patterns, and colors. There is meaning in the real world, without abstracting or even refining it.

Technically it’s not a perfect image (the rework improves it) but since this image is about meaning and not visual pleasure that does not seem very important. In short, great image. I wish it were mine.

1 Like

Hi Johan, wonderful use of the light turning what would be an ordinary scene to my eyes into something magical. Well done!

1 Like

Thanks a lot Vanessa for taking time to comment on my image!

Thanks a lot for your comment Allen!

Thanks Igor for taking time to look and think about the image. Yes I think the composition of this scene that I stumbled over is interesting. Funny how you stop in your tracks when you find these scenes. This is something I would never have done if I did not photograph. You mentioned that you thought it was not a technically perfect image, I would love to hear you expand on this I really want to learn to go to “the next level”. Do you refer to composition, technical aspects of the image when photographing and/or processing.