Favorite Flower

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What do you think of when you see this bunch of flowers? Does it evoke an emotion?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Pasque Flowers have been a favorite of mine since I was a small child. They peppered the Sagebrush meadows with their purple goodness every Spring in the mountains where I grew up. With their large blossoms, fuzzy stems and cheerful demeanor, they compel you to love them whether you think you want to or not! It doesn’t hurt that they are one of the first flowers to appear in the Spring time. Did you know that the hair-like structures are designed to help them survive frost? The inevitable frost forms on the hairs, and not on the stems and petals This keeps those important parts from freezing! They are wonderfully adapted for life in the northern latitudes like Montana. I call them my favorite, but in reality, my favorite flower is whichever one I am looking at through my camera!

Technical Details

Typically, I photograph portrait style photos with a macro lens. I love to capture the scene with sharp details and textures. Pasque Flowers are so soft and gentle, and the sun was just about to slip below the horizon, that I thought I’d use a different technique with this one. I shot this with a 70 -300mm lens at 300mm, wide open at f/6.3. I set the camera right down on the ground, knowing the plants in the foreground would be nicely blurred.

Specific Feedback

Always open to all feedback. Is the foreground blur appropriate or distracting. Is the color cast ok? There was an orange cloud in the background, but the sun was not directly shining on this scene. I’ve enhanced the saturation in both the background and the foreground to make the image more like I hoped it would, and not the way it actually worked out (the sun stayed behind the cloud and never came into view. Are the blurry tall, dead stems in the background distracting? I am a stickler for not disturbing nature. I will often use a stick or rock to gently hold something down and then stand it back up when I leave, but these dead stems were fairly prolific and close to the trail so I chose to leave them.

I think of new beginnings, hope and spring time. Great perspective and beautiful complimentary background, Paul. Nicely seen and captured.

Oh what a beauty you have here! The colors compliment each other so well. I don’t see a definitive cast so that looks fine to me. The hazy quality of both the bg and the fuzzy beauties themselves works well. The sticks could easily go. If something is dead and in the way, I have no issue moving it IRL, but if I didn’t catch it I’ll clone it out in post if I can. Always better to do onsite though, IMO. I do the bending and holding thing, too, and always try to remember to unbend or release it before I leave. When my husband comes with me (which is rare) he is a useful assistant for this task. The foreground though I find a bit heavy and I’d crop some off the bottom so that we aren’t so involved in looking there when we clearly shouldn’t be! A winning shot.

Lately I’ve been doing a little flower photography with my 100-400mm and it produces the same kind of compression and extreme blur fore and aft. It is a different view totally from a macro lens and I feel a bit like a traitor forgoing that one.

Initial Reaction: Spring has sprung with a vengeance! Critical view after looking at it awhile: The flowers and background are superb, but there’s a bit more out of focus foreground than I’m comfortable with, particularly on the left. When I’m going out after flowers, I try to remember to take something along to flatten down foreground vegetation, if needed. I’ve used a coat or hat to do so a number of times.

A beautifully conceived and executed image. The light coming through the flowers is magical.

Paul, wow, I love this shot! First, it’s pretty uncommon to see such a dense cluster of pasque flowers like this, so that alone is remarkable. As for the image, I really like the composition and perspective. Words that come to mind for me are majestic and triumphant. Pasque flowers are pretty small and usually don’t get too high off the ground, but here you’ve presented them as rising high above their surroundings. They are a beautiful flower but their time is fleeting, and you’ve caught this bunch at their peak. Well done!