Felt horn lichen 1

Macro doesn’t seem too popular here, but what the heck. It’s what I’m doing and it’s what I love.

This isn’t the nicest bit of felt horn that I’ve shot, but it’s one I’m done processing. Because it’s a stack it requires more processing than solo images. It is approximately 1 cm in height IRL. I found it loose and placed it in a shady spot with a background that gave some distance between it and the next little bits of greenery. I deliberately shot at a fairly large aperture to preserve the smooth background.

According to my lichen ID book, Isle Royale in Lake Superior is the center of the lichen universe. There are more species concentrated on that island than anywhere else in North America. So we have a ton down this way as well. I’ve been concentrating on them lately because they’re fascinating to me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is this thing on? Too weird? Too esoteric? How’s the stack look?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Leica DG 45mm f/2.8 macro (90mm equiv)
f/5 | 1/100 sec | ISO 200
beanbag support on the ground

Lr processed for exposure, wb, texture, clarity, sharpness & nr. It didn’t need much of any, but it did need some. Then 15 images went to Zerene. This is a PMax since the DMap just looked too weird in the background. I did a little retouching here and there adding some of the DMap details where needed. Ps for some smart sharpening and lowering the exposure in the background only. Back to Lr for a little crop. Phew!

@the.wire.smith

Kris, you managed to capture some wonderful details in this, considering that it is only 1cm high. So glad that you are finding this lichen in your area. It makes for some very interesting macro. I am sure that you are having some fun doing it as well. We are starting to have some bug activity in our flower garden, which I was able to capture some yesterday. Hopefully I can get them processed and posted soon. Nicely done. Not sure what you could do to improve this.

Thanks Shirley. These little hidden worlds just fascinate me. My back doesn’t love them, but it’s temporary.

I really have to remember to bring my hand lens into the field since sometimes what I think is the closest bit to the lens turns out not to be and ruins the whole shot by having a blurry blob front and center. But that’s all part of the learning curve.

I did better with the background on this one versus the first shot of felt horn lichen I posted. I got down lower as well and that helped for sure. Also used a larger aperture to keep that background nice and blurry (it’s sphagnum moss mostly).

1 Like