Geese on thin ice.

This group of Canada Geese slowly ventured out on ice that formed close to shore in the wetlands of the Blackwater NWR on the Eastern Shore of Md. I thought to process this image in black and white and high key to catch the tentative steps of the Geese.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I watched these Geese for sometime and tried to get the sense of each individual as well as the group.

Technical Details

3 Likes

Hi Bill. I like that choice to make them black and white. I also enjoy that they are all in different poses, gives a nice overall picture of what was happening better than if it had been only one goose.

1 Like

Hi Bill:

Thank you for sharing your wonderful Canada Geese image.

Great choice to select a high key edit.

Well worth the wait to have some separation between the Geese to capture individual poses and for the shadows on the ice.

1 Like

Bill, I like how you’ve allowed for some spacing to the geese I see that as a real positive viewing overall. For me it’s about the two geese looking down. Especially the lead bird here. As the ice has nothing really visible on the surface it leads one to wondering what they maybe seeing below the surface… :cowboy_hat_face:
…a really fun curiosity scene with that thought on my mind… :sunglasses:

Fun image indeed, Bill. Sure does work as a group. Love loose triangular formation (1-2-3) and the black/white treatment. I am curious what setting you used to handle the contrast between the brightness and the darks of the ducks?

1 Like

Cameron. Thanks for your feedback. This was one of my first experiments with high key black and white. Bill

Domenico, Thank you. I really appreciate your feedback. Bill

Thanks Linda. As I recall, just adjusted exposure, then highlights , shadows and contrast in Lightroom.

1 Like