Gila woodpecker

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took a lot of photos of this bird, mostly with the bird facing the cactus on the right. This was about the only time it did anything different.

Specific Feedback

All comments and criticisms will be welcome. This isn’t a kind of photography I have much experience with.

Technical Details

ISO 5000, 400mm, f/5.6, 1/1250th.

Don, the bird and cactus are great. I love the soft color palette all over. While the light gray branch on the left side and the bent branch on the upper center provide some balance, I think they also tend to draw my eye away from the main attraction. The feathering, catchlight, and bird colors are wonderful.

Hi Don. I’m not sure what you used for noise reduction, but the feathers on the face and breast have the look of something one that misinterpreted the texture. I’ve seen the same thing when the noise level got a bit high and the feather texture is very fine, the noise reduction will get rid of the noise but it makes the texture coarser than what it should be. About the only solution I’ve found is to keep trying different noise reduction software. The LR one, while abysmally slow on my computer seems to do a pretty good job in those situations.

I really like your composition and the pose of the bird.

Ed, thanks .

Dennis, I used Topaz for noise reduction. I redid the shot with LR, which I seldom use on noise, and it was an improvement. This was a learning experience. Thanks.

I do like the looks of the plumage in the repost better, Don. Good job.

Quite a handsome bird you’ve captured Don, and I’m not likely to see one in my backyard either, lol. I do like your composition and the pose is refreshing too. I’m honestly not experienced enough to determine quality of feather texture, but your redo does seem to make it less “muddy”. Branches frame him nicely and not a deal-breaker for me.

Thanks for the feedback, Jim.

Lightroom noise reduction version looks better than the original post. The branches are OK, but as others have said can pull the eye away from the subject. Pose and lighting are good and I like the level of saturation in the colors. Well done…Jim