Going to the Sun

This is likely the most dramatic scene I have witnessed in my 65 years. Often times, for most, we do not have the means to record that moment. For me I was lucky. After making our way over Logan Pass in near zero visibility the clouds broke on our way west down Going to the Sun Rd, Glacier NP. I must have taken fifty frames of the storm clearing I decided on this one. If you take the drama you see in this photograph and multiply it by 10 you may start to image the scene that was unfolding. Many may think it over processed but I can not process it enough to due justice to the real nature present at the time.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any improvements in exposure, dynamic range?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Does it convey the mood ( I was in absolute awe of the scene.) Do you think that the 24mm lens was the right choice ( I did take frames with a longer lens?)

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D850 Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 - 24mm 1/50sec f/9 ISO400. Single image processed with Lightroom and Photoshop.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@kellyireland55

That sounds like a great show that unfolded right in front of you. Sometimes we are in the right place at the right time! I can only imagine the excitement of standing there, witnessing and photographing it.
I think a focal length that excludes the foreground tree and bush will make the scene easier to look at, it focuses on the mountain and clouds and light, the subjects of the image. It will also give the nice waterfall in the back a bigger role in the frame that I think I would like.
As presented the colors and mood feel a bit unrealistic in my eyes. The blues in the sky are very dark and deep, and the orange spots are very bright and saturated. Some other highlights are overexposed a bit and grab too much attention due to that. Some more blending to get information for the brightest highlights from the raw files will help improve the sky, and I would try lowering the saturation of the sky, overall and/or for the separate color channels.

I can imagine that this must have looked like a spectacular scene. I agree with almost all of Ron’s processing suggestions.

I had to cancel my trip to GNP, Banff and Jasper NP this year because of Covid-19. I’m envious.
I agree with everything that Ron said in his comment. For me the deep blue sky is just too dark and the orange/yellow highlights are too bright. I think you probably have enough data in your raw file to make some adjustments and even the exposure out a little bit.
What fantastic conditions you had! My heart is racing just thinking about it.