Graceful Glance

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was exploring my local area in late October. The best foliage had already passed, but the conditions might produce mist or fog. After a successful session at a path during sunrise, I already felt good about what I had captured. On my way home, I saw some light rays in a field and decided to pull over and check it out, even though I would be late for my first meeting. I launched the drone and saw these incredible rays all over the misty field. The tree at the top of the frame jumped out at me as wanting to be the main subject, but I loved how the middle row of trees and the foreground trees provided some context to the late season and how the different stages of the end of autumn can be majestic and connected.

Specific Feedback

This image has been among my most challenging in finalizing the edit. I keep tweaking it slightly and never feel like the colors and contrast are 100% where I want them. I go back and forth on the hot spot behind the tree at the top. Do I tone it down or keep it a bit brighter than the rest of the mist?

Technical Details

Shot on the DJI Mavic 2 Pro with five shot AEB and then HDR merged in lightroom and cropped from horizontal to vertical. 1/40 - 1/240 at f / 3.2 and ISO 100.

3 Likes

I love this image! The fog, the lines of shadow and light, the layers. Just spectacular!

Jamie,
This is absolutely fantastic! You knocked it out of the park!
The placement of that huge stand of trees is perfect.

2 Likes

This is pretty damn special, and certainly very unique. I love everything about it. It’s somehow dramatic and quiet, all at the same time. Just beautiful.

1 Like

Hey Jamie, This is just killer, man. I enlarged the image and checked out the highlight tree near the top of the frame and it’s all there. Nothing blown out and that fog streak passing through it right down the center of the frame is fantastic. On these ethereal scenes, all of the “rules” fall by the wayside. Pushing the highlights beyond the limit can work to highlight the subjects that is in the fog’s path. Good job following your instincts to stop to check this area out. The only thing I did was to brighten the shadows globally, which opened up the bottom of the frame and lightened the feel of this great scene.

1 Like

Hi Jamie, this is awesome! Lucky that you followed your instincts and stopped for the photo! how do you feel about cropping a tiny bit off the top of the image? Just to crop out the darker area up there. I think it makes that tree back there pop even more that way, Just a thought, it’s an amazing image no matter what.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. Brenda, I will try out that crop for a future version.

I really love this image. Another option would be a crop that eliminates the strong yellows on the bottom. That would result in a square or 4x5 horizontal.