Gray Fox

Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic / Expressive

About This Image

I finally gave in to the longstanding urge to get a camera trap, and set it up with my backup body and some shop lights. The first few nights got a skunk but last night netted this guy (or gal). I’m using hot lights and when the IR beam is broken the camera shoots for 99 seconds at 2 fps. Lots of deleting but I have a chance for several decent frames. Baited with meat scraps.

Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Lens: 28mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art 019
Focal length: 28mm
Shutter speed: 1/640s
Aperture: f/8
ISO: 1600

Minor shadow slider move in LR and denoise; into PS for a crop (about 50%), some trivial BG cleanup and a little more light thrown on the subject. No idea what got his attention but there was a moth fluttering around a light in one of the other exposures.

Diane

I’ve often thought about setting up a similar system in my yard, but just haven’t gotten around to it. I think it’s difficult to make the images that you get look realistic with especially considering the lighting. That must just be the nature of the beast. I do like the expression that you got on this fox and you got a nice head turn to go along with it. I’ve never seen any foxes, but have seen lots of smaller bunnies and one weasel.

What a cutie pie! I love this Diane. I hope you get more keepers from your set up. I don’t know how you feel about such things, and this is clearly intended to be a natural, candid shot, but I would be curious to see it without the bit of wood in the foreground. Perhaps the wood is what draws the curious animals? In that case, it’s worth keeping it in the yard, regardless of whether you remove it from the image. That catch-light in the eye is wonderful.
ML

This type of photography appeals - harking back to the early days when the early photographers had no idea what they would get
Exciting!!

Taking the shot as is I would zoom=in a bit and catch the face which is wonderfully expressive

Lovely pic

Huw

Visual Notes

Thanks, @David_Schoen and @Marylynne_Diggs ! That piece of wood was just put there yesterday and has now been moved! Backstory: A couple of days ago a neighbor texted that they had been seeing lights at night down by our pump house and wondered if we needed any help with anything, and copied it to the other closest neighbor. When I replied that it was just me and my cameras again, the other neighbor said she would be right over with a bottle of Calvin Klein Obsession for Men. They are big into wildlife conservation and friends of theirs in Kenya use it to attract big cats to a camera trap. (No kidding! – she sent a link to an article from the Bronx Zoo.) She said it had attracted bobcats to her trail camera down by our creek. So I looked for a suitably natural piece of wood, sprayed it and put it there. But tonight it will be off to the right. And the fox didn’t sniff it – he was after a wad of hamburger.

1 Like

And @Huw_Thomas – you posted while I was typing. That is a great crop suggestion! I might have been too intent on keeping a sense of the night environment.

Obsession. Attracts cats. You can’t make this stuff up!
ML

Oh! Holy cow Diane! This is amazing.

How on earth did you train him to pose like that! Head angle, expression…all there. The background is awesome as well. I might consider removing that diagonal tree, top left in the shadow?

I have three trail cameras set up in the paddock. I catch all sorts of critters at the waterer, but get dismal images…only for record or ID. I don’t bait with food unless I’m trapping to remove. I’m off to the shop to buy Obsession!

@Marylynne_Diggs and @Glenys_Passier – here’s the link. I wouldn’t have believed it either. It’s a musk ingredient they like.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/100624-big-cats-cologne-vin-video

I was so lucky with the pose – I got 3 decent frames but all with the piece of wood in the way. I did wonder about that branch – I think I’ll prune it out. Let me know if you have success!

Bait is the only way I could ever get a subject in front of the camera.

1 Like

Wow, what a great shot! I love the expression on the fox’s face. It is amazing what these photo traps can do, very impressive :grinning_face: