Gray Francolin and re-post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A game bird introduced to Hawaii from Asia. When I first saw it, I thought it was a grouse, but I can’t find any information as to whether a francolin is in the grouse family.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 TC at 700 mm. 1/1250 at f10; ISO 2500

Looks like you caught it just right Allen. Nice depth, nice BG, and nice details where they are needed, and I like the head on look too.

1 Like

I did find a reference that they’re in the gallini family: " Gallini is a tribe of bird in the subfamily Phasianinae. It includes the bamboo partridges, francolins and junglefowl (including the chicken). Members of this tribe are found in both Asia and tropical Africa. This grouping was supported by a 2021 phylogenetic analysis of Galliformes, and has been accepted by the International Ornithological Congress. The tribe name is accepted by the Howard and Moore Complete Checklist of the Birds of the World. [1][2][3][4]"

A fine image of this bird, Allen.

1 Like

Thanks for the information, Dennis. So, I guess in the greater scheme of things it is related to the grouses.

Allen. Thanks for sharing this fine-feathered fellow. I have seen his/her relative in Africa. The DOF and the detail in the feathers are spot on. I find the foliage competing with the bird because of the similarity in the value of the colors. If the greens were a shade darker it might allow the bird to really stand out. I tried downloading it into PS and masked the bird and then the background. On both I did some color grading mainly darkening the midtones I use the Tony Kuyper TK9 pannel to make the changes, but just a levels adjustment on both would probably be enough to separate the values.

Thanks, Barbara for your suggestion. I like how the darker background makes the bird stand out more. For my taste I wanted something between my original and your’s.

1 Like

It looks good to me.

1 Like

Nice catch Allen and fine repost. Love the pattern on this bird and the low shooting angle. Well done.

1 Like