Half-hidden

Rework

Rework of the rework

I first made and then downloaded this image almost a year and a half ago. For some reason that I still don’t understand, I decided to flag it (if you saw the RAW image, you’d probably understand my reticence). Every couple of months, as I reviewed past downloads that I’d flagged for post processing, I’d come across this one and find myself reaching for the “U” (unflag) key. But then, I’d leave it. There was just something about the half-hidden light that told me to be patient and give it more time. This past week I finally got up the nerve to give this image a go. I had a sense of where I wanted to take it but wasn’t sure if I could get there. I mean sometimes an image needs attention and care while, at other times, all we really have to work with is good intentions (what my friend and mentor, David duChemin refers to as “polishing turds”). As I have become more experienced and, I’d like to think, a more disciplined editor, it is easier to tell when turd polishing is happening. But sometimes, and this picture was one of those times, it isn’t. In the end, I’m pleased to discover that my instinct was right – it isn’t a polished turd but a picture that moves me and is unlike anything I’ve done to date. But as it is something very new to me, I’d be most interested in any feedback you’d care to offer.

Is this a composite: No

1 Like

My first reaction was that you responded to this on a personal level from your experiences in the Canadian wilderness and that we would not be able to feel the same emotion. However, when I did a straight conversion of this to b&w I began to better understand the subtle beauty of this composition at an aesthetic level. That was not your intention so I won’t add it. It just seemed as though those bent branches stood out more. But then again, the story is to show last light in the forest and for that color seems to be important. I agree that this is an image that needs to be given time to grow on you.

I agree, Kerry, there is something about this image that keeps drawing me back to it. The streaks of fading sun light are mesmerizing. Hidden in the faded tree branches, it’s like they are begging to come out or perhaps inviting me in. For me, it is an image I want to be be happily lost in to wander and enjoy. Thanks for sharing and I’m glad you didn’t un-flag it.

Not sure where you wanted this to end up, but it arrived at a good place for me. I might darken those bright green bits on the left to keep attention on the lit trunk.

This feels dense and heavy, but with a glimmer of hope peering through. The dark, dense, and downward hanging branches pull us down and the bright, warm upright trunks pull us back up.

This is very lovely.
I understand that need of being patient.
I would only suggest to darken a bit on the lights outside de central part - both the upper corners.

Kerry, you certainly have made hay with the humble Black Spruce this year. In this image I like the the spot light effect, the colors, and the strong use of diagonal lines. The way the branches drape downwards in pyramid shapes is pretty interesting. And having the spotlight tree dead center works well for me.

While this may be a matter of personal taste, the texture in the image seems too strong. I don’t know if that was intentional for creative effect, or if it just reflects sharpening of already existing textures in the image. Given the relatively soft and gentle light here, I think a bit less texture would create a softer feeling that would be more harmonious with the softer light. Sort of a soft glow, Orton type thing might work.

Kerry, I really like this one. Well seen. I agree with Ed regarding softening it up a bit.

As for what I saw, I wonder if something between what is presented and Igor’s tendency to see it in B&W might work. To me, this is an image about this last slice of light hitting the trees. For that, the warm color is important. But the greens in the image distract a bit from this to my eye. Maybe destaturating the greens a bit would lend more focus on the golden light. But overall a lovely image. Thanks for sharing

@Igor_Doncov , @linda_mellor , @Ronald_Murphy , @Bonnie_Lampley , @joaoquintela , @Ed_McGuirk , @Adam_Bolyard : I want to thank you all so much for taking the time to look and comment. This is an important image for me because it feels like I’m getting to something a little deeper, though, at the moment I couldn’t quite say what. Your suggestions make a lot of sense and I hope the rework reflects them (scroll up to see). Basically, I pulled back on the clarity/texture (except where the light is), desaturated the greens, upped the vignette a touch but also added a spotlight. It’s funny, I liked the filigreed texture in the underbrush and kept adding texture to bring it out. I think I was going in the wrong direction so I appreciate your fresh eyes. I think the rework is big improvement. Thoughts?

Yes, I would say that’s definitely an improvement. Now it has the beauty of softly glowing embers of a fire. That is, you are drawn to it like to a fire.

Let me try this again.

Those small dapples of light make the image for me, they bring the low-key of the rest of the image to life. I could see softening the sharpening even a bit more:

Kerry, I prefer the even further reduced level of texture / sharpening in the rework by @John_Williams. I think the reduced emphasis on texture lets the understated light and colors stand out better.

@John_Williams , @Ed_McGuirk . Boy, I really got turned around on this one. I also prefer your version, John. So, here’s yet another rework more or less in line with that (scroll up to see). Am I there yet? :crazy_face:

Frustratingly, NPN cycles through the images instead of showing them at full-size when there is more than one. However, I can see it if I download and view in Photoshop, and it looks much better.

1 Like