Hardy Water Lily

Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic + Technical

About This Image

After viewing @Diane_Miller 's wonderful B&W water lily, I decided to try my hand at it. No special PS skills. Basic contrast and tonal adjustments. Taken at Longwood Gardens, PA.

Feedback Requested

Just overall thoughts on artistic merit

Technical Details

Olympus em5 mk2, 280 mm, 1/10 @ f/16, iso 250

1 Like

Hi Mike,

I have to say that I never would have thought to convert a colorful waterlily into a B&W image, but I have to say that this works really well IMO. I will have to go back and check out the post from @Diane_Miller. This has a nice range of tones and I am loving those water drops on the petals, especially when you view the larger version. I also am enjoying the water tension around the root where it breaks the surface of the water. I also think the unfurling pad in the BG works as well. No suggestions from me as this is beautifully done.

Mike, a worthy successor to Diane’s shot. I too love that point where it breaks the water surface. Maybe, if you cropped a little off the bottom, this surface feature would increase in prominence and the two black strips (top and bottom) would be more balanced. The length of the stalk shadow also pulls my eye down a bit - but these are just personal taste reasons for that crop. Everything else is great!