Heaven or Hell

What makes this image expressive?

Deep space explosions…

Specific Feedback Requested

Any appreciated, not sure this is up your alley but I thought your thoughts would be interesting.

2 Likes

@Dan_Kearl , your images are just so very beautiful, showing us the magnificence of deep space. And inspirational, you taking these from your backyard! I bought a Star Adventurer 2i tracker, but my first attempt at getting the Andromeda galaxy failed spectacularly! I bumped the focus ring and each of the 240, 30-second images showed a nice and blurry star field!
Keep sending us these beautiful images.

1 Like

Well, I studied Astronomy & Astrophysics at University, so you just struck lucky! :slight_smile: :joy:

Part of the theme this week was for you to say what the image expressed to you, and instead you’ve asked a question: Heaven or Hell?

That is my only insight into your intent. Of course images like these require huge amounts of time, technique, serendipity, and equipment. But, they are not the product of all that. They are the product of a fascination with origins, time, distance, and the ultimate futility of humanity.

Me sitting typing this will have zero relevance in 5 billion years from now. Newton will no longer be remembered, Einstein or Hubble. All of humanity will be lost and there will be no memory, no trace.
Yet, as we are born from the nebulae, so we will return; the conservation of energy, the cycle of life. death, and the slow cooling of the universe and ultimate silence.

I don’t know you, but I am in awe of your skill to create these beautiful and stunning insights into the skies above our heads. As I have written a few times on other images, exploring what it means to you beyond the technical will open avenues of introspection that will in their own right deliver a balance.

This one has a 3D quality like nothing I’ve seen in your work before. Really mesmerizing.

Thanks Kristen and Mark and thank you Alister for taking the time.
I am a novice at this discipline so appreciate the comments.
Astro is a big learning curve and I am still on the bottom.
Go to Astrobin if you want to see what I am striving for.

2 Likes

Dan, you’ve made huge leaps since you started on this path! There will always be images that are just out of reach, but many will be done by someone sitting at their computer running a remote telescope in New Mexico, half the country away. But the journey and the quest is quite a thrill – keep at it!

I love this image!! It made me stop and study it. How lucky to be able to photograph the beauty of the skies above us

Hell shouldn’t have any blue in it so this is Heaven! Or, maybe you have to go through Hell to get to Heaven? LOL
Another stunning image, Dan. Yes, this does look 3 dimensional when viewed small but when viewed large, that dimension goes away. My dad was the assistant deputy director at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) 25 years ago, and as kids we were always in awe of what was “Out there” when we talked about his work. Incomprehensible! This shows it more than most of the images you’ve posted. Just incredible. @Mark_Muller, at least you tried. Keep at it. This is inspiration enough for all of us.

1 Like