Hey Macro Geeks, Ask Me Anything!

Jeff you didn’t mention what f/stops you are shooting at. With the shallow dof when shooting minimum focusing distance, the dof is really shallow, so you should be shooting at the highest f/stop numbers. here’s an image I shot inside of a small flower and got lots of details even though I was close to 1:1. So, don’t be afraid of going to those higher f/stops. I never use focus stacking.

1 Like

I love the vibrant, bold rich colors in the first image. Reading through the posts I see you use Smart Photo Editor, Vivesa and Topaz in your post processing. Is the vibrant, rich, bold color from a filter in Smart Photo Editor?

1 Like

Hey Michele, I shoot a lot of soft focus wide open images myself, and do like that style, but to be honest, all my success, as far as selling, contest wins, and other successes, have all come from the, all in focus images. In my toolbox is very simple. I have an old D7000 Nikon body with a Tamron 90 macro lens, and a 18 to 400 Tamron lens. I use a Vanguard Alta Pro 2+ 263AT with a Acratech Ultimate ballhead. I carry a 12" diffuser, a plamp, and a litra LED light for occasional fill light, and that’s pretty much the main tools.

1 Like

Yes it does Traci. Smart Photo Editor has over 7,000 creative filters that will do wonders to any image. I have a blast with that program, and the sharpening filters are excellent.

1 Like

Thank you, do you happen to know off the top of your head the name of the filter for your first image or the purple flower, posted in the discussion. I attended your session last weekend, and have been focusing on photographing “characters” in nature and have a magnolia blossom and a dandelion that I want to post process in the style of Mike-LOL! This is my first attempt with Nik. Thank you for the inspiration last weekend.

No I never keep take of which filters I use, I just play with the filters until I get something that looks good and I’m done. Nice image, and colors look great.

1 Like

So great to see you here Mike! Macro is something I keep wanting to get into but then I get distracted by other projects, LOL.

I am very impressed with the fact that you are doing all of this with a Tamron 90 and D7000, that’s pretty amazing. I have been thinking about getting the Sony 90 myself - I rented it last fall and had some fun using it.

This might be a simple question but what working distances do you prefer for your work on the 90?

Hey Matt, the working distance would all depend on how small of an area I what to shoot when framing a subject. Minimum focus on the Tamron 90 is like 11 inches, and that’s from the sensor in the camera to the subject. Most of what I shoot it larger areas so I’ll usually a few feet from a subject. The longer focal length macro lenses would give you more working distance from the subject, but those lenses also cost a lot more. I have a Tamron 18-400 which also does close-up work, so I can get more working distance using that if I need it.

Hi Mike, I just had say hello in reaching back to our old NPN #1 days. Your Macro work has always been the gold standard then and now…take care… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Mike,

First congratulations on your beautiful and artistic close up photographs. I very much like your colors, compositions and personal vision.

I am impressed by the modest cost of your gear. Based on the gear you listed above (Nikon D7000, Tamron lenses, Vanguard tripod and Acratech ballhead) I priced your entire kit (minus lighting equipment) at $2500 new and much less used.

I am of the opinion that vision is more important than gear. I often shoot with a Canon 80D, or even an Apple iPod 5. In fact during social distancing I am using the iPod almost exclusively to photograph my backyard. I also have more expensive gear but I use it only when want to make very large prints.

When I teach I like to use lower priced gear to make the point that great photographs can be created with inexpensive gear and that it is me, not my camera gear, which is the most important (and sometimes limiting) factor in the final outcome which is the image.

Of course cost is a personal matter and so while I think that $2500 is affordable it may be expensive for others. However we need to look at the result you obtain which, judging from what I see here, is world class.

So my question is what is your take on gear cost? Do you get negative comments about the gear you use? I ask because I do get such comments when I use the Canon 80D, or the iPod, because many believe great photos can only be created with top price gear. It is a stereotype of course but many don’t see it that way.

Again, congratulations on your great images and on your sensitive approach to gear selection.

Hey Brenda. Nice to see you here!

Why thank you Paul, good hearing from you, and yes it’s been a long time since we started together. Hope your doing well, and shooting a lot.

Hey Alain, totally agree with, it’s not about the gear, and it’s how I teach as well. Yes I also shoot with less expensive equipment to make that point, and it’s reassuring to my students that they don’t have to break the bank to get pro quality images. I think landscape photographers seem to be more about their gear, so that’s probably why you here about it. I find that the macro photographers in my workshops tend to have equipment in the lower price range, so my using inexpensive equipment makes them feel a lot better about their equipment. Thanks for commenting.

1 Like

Always nice to hear from you John, and glad to see you joined NPN. I have not been active lately, but have been a lifetime member since 2004. Sad we couldn’t see each other in August, but will see you in 2021.

Hello Mike! So good to see you here doing what you do best, being a great teacher! Yup, I’m late to the party but am enjoyed NPN very much. A wonderful group here! A great time to engage and help David grow a very fine community. I hope you and your family are well and safe in these crazy times.

Heh, John! Good to ’see’ you, too!

Tharp_20121010-0289.jpg

Always nice to hear from you John, and glad to see you joined NPN. I have not been active lately, but have been a lifetime member since 2004. Sad we couldn’t see each other in August, but will see you in 2021.