Hot Spring

This is a revisit of a 2012 image. How does the image mean to you? It is both hot and cool to me. Hot because of the setting and steam; cool because of the blue-green water. Is the color temperature right to you? Thanks for your overall impression too.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Hot Spring improved P1010153-Edit|333x499
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Larry, the colors in this are very striking. My eye is especially drawn to that bit of yellow mistletoe-like plant that overlies the blue water. The line of the water takes our eye right to it, and it feels like the focal point of the scene. The overall strong detail in the green vegetation competes with it, though, I think. If that yellow plant is indeed what you intended the focal point to be, it might be worthwhile to reduce the detail and/or exposure of the green bits. I gave that a try, by reducing the exposure and clarity of the areas around the water, but keeping some of the highlights, and then increasing the exposure just a tiny bit on the water. Then added a bit of vignette on the lighter parts around the edges. Oh, also cloned out some bright leaves poking in from the sides (for example, midway along the right side). If you’re not into removing, they could be burned down, too.

At any rate, this is a striking scene. The color of the water is cool, both literally and figuratively.

Agree with Bonnie about darkening the edges. BRC was a little too bright. A very beautiful image!

@Bonnie_Lampley and @svetlana, Thanks for your replies. I fully agree about the greens on the edges competing with the main subject of the image. I tried to fix this before posting it, but Bonnie, you have done a better job. I will tinker again using your recipe. Many thanks to you both.

Larry, it’s a striking scene, indeed. Bonnie has a good input. In addition to that, I will say that I find that branch right on the center of the frame distracting. I fiddled with the image a little bit and I think cloning it out is an improvement.

Adhika, I have been going back and forth about this branch. I will try cloning it out. Thanks for the input.