I'm Cole Thompson, ask me anything!

Hi Jack, it’s so nice to see my friends here!

Here’s my “simple” approach to questions such What Is Art? or What Is Fine Art?

Who cares? I only ask myself two questions: do I like it and would it look good on my wall?

I don’t worry about what it’s is called or classified by some group.

I don’t live in the art world, I don’t have my work in galleries and I don’t associate with the art crowd. So I don’t worry much about what “they” think.

Am I aware that this esoteric debate rages in some corners of the art world? Yes.

Do I care? No.

That’s my simple “I don’t care” answer. But let me add some other thoughts.

What is Fine Art Photography? I recently heard Brooks Jensen express this thought (paraphrased): Photography shows you what the photographer saw with their eyes. Fine Art photography shows you what the artist felt.

I like that simple answer.

Should a photographer offer limited editions? I asked Brooks this question and once again, I loved his simple and practical answer: ask yourself if you’d like your work to sell for thousands of dollars or if you’d like your work to be in thousands of homes?

He pointed out that there is no right answer, there is only what you want.

Limited editions is a marketing technique used to create the impression of scarcity, to justify higher prices. High end galleries often require small editions and high prices.

When Brooks asked me that question, I immediately knew the right answer for me. The ultimate honor I can receive is for someone to hang one of my images in their home. Consequently I do not offer limited editions and I keep my prices low.

I tend to ignore many of these philosophical debates, because when I’m on my ranch with my donkey, none of this really matters.

3 Likes

Cole, I knew all that. I just wanted to hear you say it again​:slightly_smiling_face: :crazy_face:. I’m terrible. I’m lowering my edition to 1.
Stay healthy my friend.
Jack

1 Like

Are you one of those John Barclay rabble rousers, trying to stir up trouble?

1 Like

Yes, but shorter!! And much better looking

2 Likes

HI, Cole!

I also remember very well May 2008 and your visit to Ukratna and my hometown of Lviv. You photographed me with your eyes closed. I even remember my tie - he was with bugs (ladybugs). But unfortunately, I could not find this photo. And I found a charming couple:in the picture above.

Serg

Thank you Sid, really appreciate

1 Like

Well, you surrelly did sucede!
Really like your work

1 Like

Wow, I was much younger in 2008! But now I have much more hair!

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the questions and I hope that I was kind and diplomatic in my answers.

If you have further questions, please feel free to email me at Cole@ColeThompsonPhotography.com

1 Like