Important Updates to NPN's Critique Process - Your Participation is Key!

Hello NPN Members,

Our goal at NPN is to foster a dynamic, engaging community where we can all grow and learn from one another. To further enhance the value of our community, we’re introducing a new rule to improve our image critique process.

*New Critique Rule: For every image you post for critique, please be sure to provide thoughtful feedback on at least two images shared by your fellow members. This way, we can all grow together and make our community even more engaging and rewarding!

We believe this change will benefit everyone for two key reasons:

1. Critiquing others’ work is one of the most effective ways to develop your eye for photography. Engaging deeply with the work of others pushes you to think critically about what makes an image successful, providing valuable learning opportunities.

2. Our community thrives on mutual support and engagement. By providing feedback to one another, we create a rich environment where we help each other grow.

You don’t need to be an experienced photographer to give a critique. It’s important that everyone shares what they like or dislike about an image, how it makes them feel, what emotional response it gives, what aesthetics they like, etc.

Editors’ Pick Changes

To encourage active participation, critique engagement will be considered when selecting our Editors’ Picks. Meeting the 2:1 ratio of critiques given to images posted will be a factor in our decision-making.

For all the details on these updates, please review our NPN Guidelines.

To see where your critique ratio is at please visit this link and click run. Only you can see your own stats, in the future we will make this easier for you to view.

We’re excited about this new chapter in NPN’s growth and the incredible conversations and connections that will emerge as a result. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Ready to take your photography to the next level? There’s no better time than now to dive into the Image Critique forums and accelerate your learning and growth. Your participation is the key to unlocking a wealth of knowledge and inspiration from our vibrant community of passionate photographers. Let’s make it happen!

Best regards,
David Kingham

1 Like

Is this ratio test the entire history or just now going forward?

Hey Paul, it’s set up to display data from the past 3 months, I just revised it so you can input the timeframe, such as 1 month or 1 week instead.

Not sure, David. I get zeros but show Met Quota “Yes”.
A 2:1 ratio should be easy to meet as the old requested years ago was 5:1 and that was still a fair target IMO. As I recall it was listed as a CP Ratio. Comment to Posted image ratio.

Something seems to be whack with the query, David. I’m getting all zeros

Dennis, that was the same results I saw. I thought I was doing something wrong…as the saying goes, “research to continue”… :sunglasses:

Back to the drawing board! I’ll let you know when/if it is fixed.

Hi David,
I just wanted to thank you for the new update to NPN’s critique process. It is a little frustrating when you leave comments to others and get few in return. As you mentioned it is how we grow as a photographic community.

As a side note when I clicked the run button I got a message saying syntax error.

Ed, your point is well taken and of course as old as NPN has been on the air. In the past whenever there was mention of placing a required number of comments before one’s post was brought into view the complaints were a bit valid. The point being made was those not engaged would merely comment with the “required” number of Nice, Excellent, or worse yet Bad, Ugly comments to see their image appear.
However, if required to at least comment it might thin the crowd of the completely non-commenters entirely.
I recall NPN-1 showed the CP (comment to post) ratios as part of your profile. Every time you opened a posted image up you could see how active the person really was.