Intimate Mesquite sand dunes

Taken on a recent Death Valley workshop with David Kingham - he certainly knows the area like the back of his hand!
Fun walking a couple of miles with headlamps on to get to these dunes that are spared of the hand of man ( relatively )

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I have tried to extract all the colors - have I over done it ?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

aesthetically, any suggestions ?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
The bush has been transposed from the right side of the image ( before cropping )

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the upper2/3 of the image - the color especially and the bands of light. The lower 1/3 of your image has a strong red cast. At first I thought it was a magenta cast but looking at it in PS it was the reds that made a difference. My suggestion would be to reduce the reds saturation and lighten it. I like the overall composition with the waves of color and light.

1 Like

Karl,
I really like this composition and the subtle contours and shadows you have here. I agree with @Eva_McDermott and would tone the reds a bit as it draws a bit too much attention for me.
I have made that similar enjoyable hike with David and really came to enjoy the peace and beauty of the dunes.

Certainly makes sense to tone down the reds in lower third - thanks for the suggestion Eva

1 Like

The reds may make a good abstract if that is what you are going for. I just have to say I love the overall waves of light and color throughout the image. Repost looks good IMO.

1 Like

The subtle difference in tone helps to define the graceful waves of sand. For me it is a very pleasing abstract with a soothing flow.

1 Like

Very cool scene. The bands of light are super as @Eva_McDermott conveyed. The subtle pastel appearance to the majority of the scene is extremely pleasing. The power of the red seems inharmonious to the rest of the pastels and low color contrast. For my taste, I would desaturate and lighten the red perhaps a bit further as to my eye, it still is dominant. While I like its presence in the scene to help rest the eye, the pull is strong and keeps me from exploring the remainder of the scene. Let me know your thoughts…thanks for sharing. A very enjoyable image.

Yes I agree completely - i found a less saturated image - same file and blended in the bottom 1/3

Thanks

1 Like

Now you’re talking! Very nice! Thanks for the repost…nicely done.

I like this version Karl.

I’m coming in late here Karl, but I like the second re-work, the more subtle treatment of the red works well. I love the simplicity and elegance of the composition, this is a case where less is more. I also like the 3D effect created by the bushes being in that depression.

I like the image as presented, but I also see another image lurking here, a panoramic crop of just the bottom half of the original image. This is a very different interpretation of the scene, but I think it works too.

First, congrats Ed on winning the Macro Best of 2019 - fully deserved !

I will play around and send you privately a couple - thanks

This one is quite nice Karl. I’m curious, was that patch of sand actually red? I’ve never seen anything like that out there! Personally I would tone down the brightest highlights up top, they are so bright that there is no detail and it is making those spots over-saturated to my eye.

Thanks David - Top left was even brighter - I will tone it down. I have applied some Orton - I should be able to recover some detail from a prior version of the same image - like I did the lower 1/3 red
Re red - definitely some red - I dont know how to “add” red . Playing with other tools this is what I got

Karl,

A wonderful, elegant dune image. Love everything about this.

Hard to tell between the 2 reposts, but your subtle edits make a difference to make this even better.

A tip/suggestion. When posting re-worked images, it’s sometimes beneficial to add them to your original post. This way, viewers can click/scroll between versions for quick comparisons. Not as easy when reposts are in new replies. No biggie, your choice of course, but in case that’s something you want to do on future posts.

Thanks for sharing this beauty!

Lon

Didn’t know I could do this - makes good sense!

And thanks for the compliments Lon!

Brightness reduced further

2 Likes

I thought that I did it, but got posted at the bottom !

You have to click on the Pencil Icon to edit your original post in the thread, which allows you to upload a second image just below your upload of the original image. You can also add new text, etc.

You must have hit the “Reply” button instead when you did the last rework, which creates a new post to the thread.

1 Like