Is there anyting here to eat?

Quite a few of these ragged creatures were hanging out on the barren shores of Lake Pleasant – almost looked like they were thinking of trying to catch a fish. There sure wasn’t much else to eat nearby. Shot from a boat, which limited my shooting angle. This is a youngster, bedecked with grass burs, which seemed to be the prevailing vegetation.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 1.4X at 630, f/9, 1/5000, ISO 1250. I think I bumped the ISO up in my excitement – didn’t need that much SS and was usually trying for 800, which is a dip in the noise/ISO curve. Linear profile in LR to tame the white muzzle. Nothing heroic. Into PS to add a bit top and bottom, and crop a little from the right. Minor touchup on the rocks.

1 Like

Great look at this seriously scruffy looking guy! Good pose, too.

Some were covered in those burrs and some weren’t. Funny. The direct look is great, I think I missed this one. Processing looks good, too. White balance seems right so far as I recall. They sure do blend in on those hillsides.

Really like this frame!
Those grass burs make them look extraordinary!

Wow, what an interesting burro? Donkey?

I like the pose and the colorings…really blends in.

Diane, I love the face on look he is giving you. Those burs on his coat makes this even more interesting. I can’t image how he can ever get these off of him, except waiting for the coat to shed. Nice shot.

Oh! The poor little guy! He looks so cute and scruffy. The landscape sure looks hard for any animal to live off.

He’s given you a very nice pose. The limited colour palette is very appealing.

Thanks everyone for the appreciation, and @JRajput for the EP – a wonderful surprise!

1 Like