Island in Lake Superior

Cloudy day with fresh wind coming from northern part of Lake Superior and making small rapid water waves. I was driving. towards saulte ste marie in Canada and I saw this small island near the road side of Lake superior and it just stunned me. I thus stopped and took this photo! The vastness was just amazing !

Specific Feedback Requested

Regarding contrast and luminosity

Technical Details

Iso 100, shutter speed 1/5 at f/11 in manual mode.

3 Likes

I feel as though you could brighten this piece up a bit, especially to increase the detail seen in the rocks and island itself. Further, I would suggest trying to clone, or crop, out the rock sticking up in the lower left corner. Perhaps decrease the vignette in the sky by a touch as well - it helps to draw the eye, but is right on the verge of looking unnatural.

Thank you for the input. I will try your suggestions and hopefully is help to improve the image!
Thanks once again
Vipul

Vipul,

First, wanted to welcome you to NPN! Great to have you here!

A terrific image. I think this has great impact and the emptiness in the sky, IMHO DOES in fact give me a sense of vastness as you observed and commented.

I think Diane was observant as well with her comments and suggestions. These are all “minor” tweaks, but I think could really elevate this image. Some of these are repeats from Diane, but here are my suggstions:

1. very minor and I didn’t notice, but you could clone the rock in the LL edge (lower left edge). It’s not an image killer though
  2. straighten the horizon. It looks like a very slight CW rotation is needed. very subtle though
  3. Reduce the vinette (but not eliminate! I like the vignette)
  4. In combo with the vignette I do think you could bring up the luminosity in genera. I think a brighter sky - even though it’s empty… I think would increase the notion of vastness

I think the composition works very well having the two “islands” lined up. I think the foreground rock help create some depth in an otherwise somewhat static scene. Just enough wave/texture in the water. For sure, if anything the water is indicating pretty calm conditions. While I’venever been to Lake Superior… I’m pretty sure that lake can be pretty wild and violent!

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to more images and your participation.

Lon

Hi Vipul! I live in Marquette and it’s fun to see a Lake Superior image on NPN. I enjoy how you have aligned the island and the rock in the foreground. Lake Superior is endlessly inspiring.

Hello Lon Overacker,
Thank you for your input. I made the Changes you recommended. The vastness feeling just improved by leaps and bound. I also removed the rock by cloning at the bottom left border and corrected the tilt. Appreciate your input.
vipul

1 Like

Hello Cameron,
Thank you for your support and yes, the place is breath taking!
vipul

1 Like

Welcome to NPN. The strong vignette gives this image a sense of foreboding. If that’s your purpose then I would not lighten the vignette.

Hello Igor,
Thank you. I am going to see how it will look as it is by making 5x7 print at home and study it. I will then lighten up to see if it pleasing to me or not. I want to keep it darker give sense of foreboding as later the weather got worse and at the same time create a feeling of vastness. Once I am satisfied then will make large 13 x 19 print
Vipul