The Horror

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

The key to the matter is the black hole in my opinion.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This is Mustard Canyon. On this particularly rainy day it looked grotesque. I decided to come up with a composition that conveyed that impression. Actually, not all of it looked grotesque but I chose to focus on this because of it’s emotional impact.

Technical Details

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11, focus stacked.

Specific Feedback

I’m interested in Conceptual and Emotional feedback.

Also, I darkened the bg to separate the mound of mud. Would you darken it further or should it be lightened?

1 Like

This brought back memories of climbing around Indian ruins when I was a child, and a feeling of old things gone by. The ruins were up a crag on the side of a cliff, and made of well worn mud and rock. Even as a youngster the openings and quarters were tight. My second thought was to wonder what formed that?

It - as in Cousin? (actually it was Cousin Itt - I had to look it up - ha). Cousin Itt had two “eyes”, though, not just one.

The opening makes me think “gaping maw”, so I think you conveyed grotesque well.

I decided to change the title of this based upon the last line Kurtz mutters in The Heart of Darkness.

My intention had always been to use this title but when I finally got to posting it I forgot my intent.

@John_Williams, @Bonnie_Lampley

Thank you for looking and commenting on my beloved ogre.

1 Like