Mountains and Mist

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Does this landscape look like any place you have been? What emotion does it convey?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I drove up to Newfound Gap in the Smoky Mountains on a Saturday morning after it had rained the day before. I was looking for low hanging clouds in the mountains and was really thought it could be mistaken for a foreign country.

Technical Details

I took the image with a Leica Q2
F11, 1/25 sec, ISO 200

Specific Feedback

The day was pretty dreary and the lighting was not the best. I opened the shadows and tweaked the color temperature. I wanted to accentuate the green in the image. I also used dehaze and lowered highlights to bring out the cloud detail a little. Before editing, the clouds were almost just all white.

Around 2010, the person I was dating moved from Indiana — where we’d both been in school — to North Carolina. I visited her while we were trying a long-distance thing. We went up to Asheville in the Blue Ridge Mountains for a long weekend, and one morning hiked up to a local lookout in heavy fog. As we got to the top, the fog finally began to lift, and we ate our snacks as the view slowly revealed itself. Tendrils of fog twisting up through pines.

We had a big fight two days later and that was pretty much it for the relationship. But the view on that hike was very cool!

1 Like

I like the composition Lisa, especially all the triangular shapes. These are mirrored with the FG trees.
It is a very moody image as presented and as such nothing more needs to be done. If, however, you wanted a slightly less gloomy image I would lighten the clouds, especially the highlights, just a tad. The highlights on the trees could also be emphasised.

@Dan_Hicks Enjoyed the story. Not sure what this dating thing is as my wife and I met in year 10 High School in 1970.

1 Like

I love the mystery of this image. One thing to consider is that all the trees are leaning slightly to the right, thus suggesting that the image is tilted. Well, actually I don’t know. Trees on slopes are often not perfectly vertical. I like how the center is brighter and everything emanates from this brightness. You could change the brightness of the image to change the mood but I like it as it is. You could also make the colors stronger but perhaps the somberness is a reflection of the breakup of your relationship. Your signature does draw one to it very much.

1 Like