Reaching for the Clouds

Here is another photo from my recent trip to the Smokies. This is the kind of scene that I might have overlooked in the past. In the past I would have been too caught up in my expectations for sunrise and sunset light that I would have overlooked this kind of scene. In this scene I was drawn to the repeating diagonal lines of the hillsides as well as how the fog was hovering over the tops of the mountain and working it’s way down into the trees.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments and critiques are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments and critiques are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

98 mm
f/8 @ 1/25 sec.
ISO 64

RAW Capture
Levels adjustment to adjust global contrast
Adjusted Midtone contrast using TK’s luminosity masks
TK’s dehaze and clarity actions at reduced opacity
TK’s vibrance masks

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Brian,
I really appreciate the depth the strong diagonals create in the scene. I also think the vibrancy is just right as well as the amount of fog included on the top of the frame. There is a lot to like here. My only nit is the dead tree in the LLC foreground is grabbing my eye a bit. It is not a big deal but I might consider removing it.
Thanks for sharing this one!

I’m with you, Brian. I’m really drawn to this type of scene anymore. This is exceptional. I was enjoying the scene so much, I didn’t notice the tree @Alan_Kreyger mentioned untill I read his post. Honestly, it really doesn’t bother me. The hillside and mist keeps me from straying to the edges.
:vulcan_salute:

Brian,

Different strokes… I must be honest and say this one isn’t as strong as your recent postings. I do like the diagonals creating the receding layers. For me, it’s the fog - it just seems a little cramped up top making the composition top heavy; there’s just not enough fog permeating the rest of the scene.

I do like the trees and that triangular foreground ridge. The may sound counter intuitive, but perhaps cropping the top strip of fog and a bit from the bottom (remove bright green patch at the bottom) creating a more pano presentation that helps emphasize the ridges and actually what fog is left over from a crop. I can post if you like.

I do like this, but will stick with my original impression that it’s not as strong as your others, I think.

Lon