Storm Magic

This is another image that I took on my recent trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Before I left on my trip the forecast was calling for a good chance of storms so I was hoping to get some good storm light on my trip. The storms came to fruition and I had some good light, but it was often not where I wanted it for my composition. On my last night all of the ingredients came together and I got some good light in the direction where I wanted it for my composition.

I had been setup at an area several miles from this location but the ridges at that spot are a lot further away and it was very hazy so the ridges were not well defined. So I my plan was to head back up to one of my favorite spots but as I climbed up I ran into fog so I stopped at this spot just in time.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments and critiques are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m pleased with the composition, but I’m interested to hear your thoughts. This is a crop from full frame - both to correct the horizon and also for composition. I had a tighter crop, but because my horizon line was tilted (doh!) I decided to process the wider composition.

Also, I feel a little rusty with my processing skills. All comments and critiques are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Capture Info:
53 mm
f/8 @ 1/50 sec
ISO 64

Processing Info:
General contrast adjustments in Lightroom; some added clarity and dehaze; light capture sharpening.

Free transform to correct horizon
Separate contrast adjustment targeted to the mountains and clouds using TK’s luminosity masks and triple play action. Color balance adjustment to add a touch more warmth. Added a tad more vibrance using TK’s vibrance masks.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

Very nice Brian. This almost has the look of a MF image. The clouds look fabulous. I think some processing could be done on the mountains to bring them up to the level of the sky but I’m not sure what that is. Wonderful image.

Igor, MF - do you mean medium format or what alphabet soup acronym am I need to add to my vocabulary? Thanks.

Wonderful image. The yellow light makes the image for me. I like the image just as it is. The processing looks good; you might lower the saturation on the green hill in the lower left to make it blend in more with the other mountains. Another approach would be to alter the hue to make it more bluish.

Very impressive capture, Brian. So glad it all worked out for you! It’s late and my eyes are tired and a bit blurred, but I can’t see any real improvement needed. The shadows in the hills MAY look a little too open, but I really can’t tell - sorry. If they are, I would burn them only very slightly. Other than that, it looks great! I’ll have to recheck this later, much earlier in the day, when my eyes actually work and can focus better.

Absolutely beautiful, Brian. Love the light, the understated colors and the dynamic of the clouds and fog. Gorgeous image!

Yes, I meant medium format. There is a tonal richness in the clouds I normally also associate with film.

This is one of those images that just are gorgeous in every respect. I love the variation of tones in the land; they really bring out the layers in the mountains. One thing that did occur to me was to burn the fog in the bottom center part of the image that ever so slightly. It seems that it is the brightest cloud/mist in the image and doesn’t feel right with the understated clouds in the sky.

Simply gorgeous Brian, what dramatic light and weather. The sky and clouds are just beautifully processed, and have such a luminous glow. This is one of those 50/50 horizon compositions that breaks the rules successfully and it works well for me. While the sky is more dramatic, the fog and mountains in the bottom half are strong enough to hold their own, and make a 50/50 work. Not nits from me, simply enjoying this one. Well done :+1: :+1:

Tremendous scene and what great light you were able to witness! I love the cloud sculpting you’ve done. I’m not viewing on a color corrected monitor, but to my observation, the degree of luminance contrast and color contrast present in the sky draws a powerful degree of attention upward. The mountain range is much more subdued (I presume by design?), yet there are lit sides of mountains much darker than the lit sky. I guess to my observation, there is imbalance in power with the top being very strong and the bottom more an afterthought or background supporting actor. If this is your intent, you have succeeded. However, if you were looking for a more balanced scene, I would reconsider the degree to which luminance contrast and color contrast are presented in the mountains.

1 Like

I really like big skies with dramatic clouds and this image has that. The color and light is beautiful and the low clouds in the mountains adds to the image. Fine shot.

Gorgeous image. For me, the billowing clouds are so low on the horizon that there is a loss of sense between land and sky. That and the fact that there are more clouds embedded in the land itself. I actually like this effect. It makes the image different and forces me to take a closer look.

Oooh, a Maxfield Parrish sunset! Gorgeous. The closest mountain in the LLC feels a bit dark to me. Perhaps just bringing up the shadows and blacks a tad would make that corner less heavy.

Beautiful image! I miss those mountains! I appreciate the story behind the composition and think you did an excellent job. Not sure if it matters but my eye is drawn to the blue in upper right corner and hangs out there. It’s a lovely memory for sure.

This is a wonderful image. It initially looks like two images; however, when you look longer you can see the lower clouds in the valley.

Lovely image as is. But it’s so compelling I just had to fiddle with it. I added a curves adjustment to the shadows. Now it looks more like a Biersdadt painting. Not better than your take, just different.

Thanks for the suggestion Tony! I do like how you have brought out more of the detail in the mountains. I have been struggling with that part of the image. I think that I would land somewhere between your edit and my original post. I appreciate the suggestion and sorry for the late reply. :smiley: