Golden Mist

This is another image from my recent trip out to the Smokies. The fog in this scene is backlit from the setting sun about an 30-45 mins before sunset.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I find it difficult to process strong backlit scenes such as this so I would appreciate your comments on the processing.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m also interested in any thoughts that you have on the composition. In particular I’m wondering if I should have gone a bit wider because it feels like the composition is a bit too tight on the top edge with the brightest area of the fog along the top edge.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

135 mm
f/8 @ 1/250 sec.
ISO 64

Single exposure RAW capture
Basic RAW processing in Lightroom to adjust exposure

Photoshop Processing:
Cloned dust spots and small section of the park road that was visible
Adjusted global contrast using levels adjustment
Targeted various areas of the image using TK’s luminosity masks
TK’s vibrance mask
Color balance adjustment - small adjustment toward yellow
TK’s de-haze action

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very nice, a lot to look at and feel. With this kind of lighting, the color balance becomes (for me ) more of a aesthetic choice, maybe a little to yellow here. I would darken the top right clouds to lower the attention they have. The composition is simple and unobtrusive (as it should be), letting the scene speak for itself. Well done.
Thanks for Post

Brian, gorgeous image and conditions, it’s a quintessential scene from the Smokies. I’ve shot sunset at Mortons a couple times, and the thing that surprised me was how warm the backlit fog and trees can be at sunset, the warmth of this scene is pretty much how I remember my evenings there. You could select the deeper shadows, like TK Darks 3 and cool them a bit, but the highlights in the fog and trees looks natural.

In terms of your question on composition, while the image as presented works pretty darn well, I think showing more of the fog would help, but I would show more at both the top and the left (assuming there is more to the left that is similar to what is already here). To me the most interesting part of this scene beyond the zig-zag ridges is the fog drifting in the trees on the left, I would like to see more of that, and a little less of the ridge on the right.

For my own personal taste, I think backlit scenes with fog or mist, require a higher level of luminosity. The fog at the very top fits this description, if anything the very top portion is starting to blow out slightly, and could be pulled back some. I think some subtle dodging of the fog and tree highlights in the left half of the image might help too. This image might also be a good candidate for adding a very subtle Orton Effect to further enhance the hazy look.

Lovely shot Brian, I love the atmosphere and crisscrossing layers. The oranges look a bit heavy in the clouds to my eye but that is very subjective.

I added some blues to the shadows and decreased the orange sat channel in lightroom.

There’s a picture within this picture as anyone can see. I particularly light the mass of bright fog in the center. I would build a comp using it. Oh, and desaturate the blue at the very top.

This is excellent, Brian. I really like it as presented. I think the light is ethereal and dreamy. I also like Igor’s crop and both work very well, but are very different images. Very, very nice.

Brian,

A little late to the party, but wanted to comment. This is a wonderful display of light - creating great atmosphere. I think this is awesome as presented, with the only suggestion to back off the blue/cyan up top a bit. I also thing Igor’s crop is a good one, but creating a different impression as Harley points out.

Lon