Blaze of Glory

This is an image that I took a few years ago from Great Smoky Mountains National Park. There aren’t too many iconic views in the Smokies, (at least compared to out west) but this view from Morton Overlook is one of them. It is an icon for good reason because it is a prime spot for sunset photography.

I posted a horizontal comp from this evening back on the old NPN, but as I was looking through some old photos I found this version that I liked. My processing has improved as well so I thought I would go ahead and work it up. I like the way that the dark trees intersect with the fog along the bottom of the frame to form an X in the composition. Scrolling down there is probably a photo within the photo of just that, but who could blame me for including that incredible sky!

What technical feedback would you like if any? All comments and critiques are welcome. I’m particularly interested in your thoughts about the shadow areas in the mountains. In the original image that I posted some time ago, the shadows were too dark. I think this is much improved, but I’m interested to hear your thoughts as well.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I am very pleased with this composition, but I’m always open to any comments that you have about the composition.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

165 mm
f/8 @ 1/4 sec.
ISO 100

Single exposure RAW Capture
RAW Processing in Lightroom to balance dynamic range and of course lift the shadows
TK’s luminosity masks for adjusting contrast.

Outside of the curves adjustment layers which increase contrast and by default also saturation, no other saturation was added. This is as close as I can get it to how I remembered the scene in real life.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I thought this looked familiar. Vertical comp works for me. I think the shadow detail is just right. Some might say the sky is a little overcooked but I like it. Must have been nice to be there.
:vulcan_salute:

This is a beautiful and classic image of the park, Brian. This particular spot seems almost familiar to me. The layering of the misty mountains are a wonderful signature of the range, but what’s remarkable is the extra layering included in the sky, which is a really killer bonus.

Gorgeous Layering from warm to cool colours and the “X” composition is both pleasing and obvious. The wee puff of cloud steam or vapour is like a meringue on a very fine cake.

Brian, it doesn’t get much better than this. Great weather conditions and beautifully processed on your part. I like the use of a vertical here it creates a strong sense of depth. There are a lot of nice elements here for the viewer to appreciate. Beautiful image as presented.

Like you mentioned, I would also greatly enjoy a square crop excluding the sky, which would concentrate on the fog and ridge lines only. It would have a totally different mood and be very mysterious looking.

Hard to argue with this Brian! Dang - very nice. The 4:5 spatially feels like a great crop. Like the increase in blue tones toward the horizon contrasting nicely with the magenta sky. The following comments pertain to where I am in my "taste " of color and luminance these days. I’d probably decrease the brightness just a little bit in the brightest parts of the mist on the L. I’d also just slightly decrease the saturation of the sky with a saturation mask as the pull there is quite strong. Again - totally a personal statement there. The shot stands quite well on its own! Nicely done.

Great conditions and beautiful image. No suggestions here, this is excellent.

This is spectacular, Brian. Great composition and beautiful lighting conditions. Processing looks pretty good but I have two thoughts. Firstly, I’d be inclined to tone down the saturation in the sky and secondly, I’d also experiment with taking a little off the top. I find the brightness and bold saturation overwhelm the subtle layering and beauty in the mountains.

Brian - beautiful as presented. Never been to the park so it’s a comp that I don’t recognize. There are multiple images in there as you suggested. I would experiment with some really tight crops that pick up the layers (including the fog) and perhaps some of the sunset…the colors must have been amazing. As someone else mentioned, I also feel like the sky overwhelms the subtleties of the image a bit.

Brian,

Just one word. Gorgeous. Like the others, love this as presented.

My favorite part? The 4x5 crop… Just a very comfortable vertical presentation - at least for me.

Lon

Wow! Gorgeous image, Brian. Everything just works so beautifully together in this lovely scene. I love the layering with the receding ridgelines, but what really sets the table for me is the wispy fog rolling through the trees. I also like the hint of warmth in the upper section of the fog. I could see the saturation brought down a notch in the sky, but that is just a matter of personal taste. Glad you found this in the archives.

Absolutely beautiful image, Brian. You captured some wonderful conditions here.