Atmospheric Ridges

I’m eager to get out for photography again, but my work schedule has been busy and I haven’t been able to get away.

In the mean time here is an image that I took this time last year along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was hoping to get just enough light coming through the clouds to get some nice color in the sky, but it didn’t work out. Nonetheless, I’m pleased with the result. While I didn’t get the color I was hoping for there is really nice texture in the clouds and a lot of great atmosphere. I like the combination of the blues and greens in the scene.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments and critiques are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments and critiques are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Image Capture:
55 mm
f/11 @ 1/40 Sec.
ISO 64

Processing:
Primarily TK’s luminosity masks

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Brian,

I can see that you might be happy with the results here - I would be too if it were mine and I got to witness and experience the scene. The clouds are indeed wonderful with great texture and contrast. The hanging mist/clouds are even better and work to tie the clouds and the forested mountains together.

Not too much to be critical of here. I can only think of a crop suggestion - and that would be to shave a little off the bottom, say enough to remove the bent over tree? It’s like I want even more of the clouds. By taking some off the bottom maybe more attention is given to those clouds.

Lon

I agree with @Lon_Overacker about cropping from the bottom. The lush green is most appealing, but to me it competes with the upper half of the image, which communicates your message about this wonderful Blue Ridge scene.

I agree with both @Larry_Greenbaum and @Lon_Overacker here. The lower section of green is acting like a wall preventing you from entering the image. I think if you crop it as suggested the image will become more inviting and also add a lot more depth

Brian, you had some great weather here, and did a good job capitalizing on it. I am a sucker for fog, especially when you get the lifting wisps of fog after a rain, like you did here. I think the image is very well processed. How you handled the green colors is especially well done, it is vibrant without being over the top.

Here is another vote for cropping from the bottom. In fact I could see this as a 16:9 pano, cropping away just the bottom and leaving all the sky.

Brian - living in Asheville, this is a scene very famliar to me. You’ve done a great job representing the scene and it looks quite lovely. Agree with others about the crop and appreciate @Eugene_Theron’s point about “the wall”. My only other comment may be on further developing your intent as described in the title. In other words, another interpretation/approach to post-processing could include creating more of a pull through the scene to the distant mountain ridges by augmenting the natural framing or “window” that exists in the scene. So, one could consider burning down some of the brighter clouds on the top of the image, and even the very bright cloud just at the top of the frame/window, leaving your brightest tones for the distant scene. I’d also leave the brightest wisps in the mid-ground. I dunno - probably overthinking it, but just wanted to pass on my thoughts. Thanks for sharing!

Lovely image. I agree with Jim, the bright spots in the sky should be darkened. Also, I would prefer a small increase in exposure of the land (except the very distant mountains.