Sunrise Spectacle

Mixing things up a little bit, here is an image that I took last fall from the Blue Ridge Parkway. The sunrise on this morning was spectacular!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I don’t have anything specific in mind, but as always all comments and critiques are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I broke the rules a bit and put the horizon line in the center of the frame. Before the crop I had quite a bit more of the foreground mountain, but didn’t feel like it added to the image. I also don’t feel like it would work with having less of the mountain range. Of course I wasn’t going to crop out any of that gorgeous sky! I figure you’ve got to break the rules once in a while, right? I’m pretty happy with the composition, but as always all comments and critiques are welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Capture Info:
95 mm
f/11 @ 2.0 sec
ISO 100

Processing Info:
RAW processing to lift the shadow detail in the mountains a bit. I had to clone out a lot of distant lights and even a smoke plume from a factory beneath the distant ridgeline. One of the downsides of shooting along the Blue Ridge Parkway is that you often encounter the hand of man. I also added a levels adjustment to adjust the contrast in the mountains to taste. Believe it or not, I really didn’t add any cooking to the sky. Finally I cropped from the bottom to a panoramic format.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Looks good to me. What a great sunrise. The cool warm colour contrast works for me

Fine image, great colours. You say that you lifted the shadow detail a bit; I’d like to see how the foreground looks before you did so. It would be no problem for me if it was a bit darker.

Classic Blue Ridge image, Brian. This is a keeper for sure. No nits from me, shadows lifted or not.

This is absolutely stunning Brian. No nits from me. Wonderful color and layers.

Love the layering and separation you have created Brian.

Brian,

Gorgeous. I love the layers and I think your color/sat representation is beautiful as well. “Blue” Ridge right? And appropriately named and captured.

No nits or suggestions. Love this as presented.

Lon