Blue Ridge Mountain Sunrise

This is an image I made in 2016 on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. This is very early pre-sunrise twilight and if memory serves, it was facing west-ish.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I’m pretty much happy with editing, but any feedback is ok.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Let me have it. I deeply desire to improve in this area.

Photography is art to me, and I like an abstract quality to my images. I sometimes display this image on my 50" and just relax.

This was one of the first images I revisited after reading “The Art of Photography - An Approach to Personal Expression” by Bruce Barnbaum. I spent about a decade pursuing photo-realism because that’s what a lot of early influences believe in. That’s just not me. I no longer consider myself a photographer but an artist who uses a camera to create my art.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 6D, Single Raw Image, LR only, 100mm, f11, 1.3 S, ISO 100, Tripod.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I really like the deep blues in this one, broken by the soft pinks. It is realxing to look at it indeed! Processing-wise, I would tune the darkest clouds in the mg just a bit brighter because they grab just a bit too much attention now for me.

1 Like

How about this?

1 Like

Yes, I prefer this one. :slight_smile:

I prefer this one too. Thanks!

Love the pre-dawn vibe here, Bradley. I usually have an issue with a big block silhouette in the fore. The more I look at this, the more it works. The framing and colors have a sorta painterly feel to me. I think i’s cool that you’ve come to the realization that what you do is art. To me, that’s what it’s all about.

1 Like

Beautiful colors and layering. I would agree with @Ron_Jansen about the dark cloud and the rework is an improvement. Quite nice.

I like the second one too. I tried a different crop that you might try. I cropped from the top just below the upper cloud in the middle. This gives it more emphasis on the mountains and the sunrise colors. Enjoy the blue colors of the Blue Ridge Mountains (sorry, I couldn’t resist the last comment😀).

I apologize for the late reply. Alas, my time is not always my own. I agree with the previous comments about post-processing, so I won’t repeat them. I will comment on the scene, however. Wow! The layers. Those wonderful, soft, gradated mountain layers. And their dawn color? Wonderful. And the sunrise color above them? Nice. With scenes like this, I believe that you are an artist.

Thank you @Ron_Jansen @Gary_Phillips @Harley_Goldman @chris6 @Marc_McCann!

I appreciate your feedback and encouraging comments.

Hmm…I need to get up to the Virginia section of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I like the color palette and I like the pattern formed by the mountains. As a point of critique, my thought is that the dark ridge in the foreground carries too much visual weight and detracts a bit from the composition. Maybe pulling in a bit more detail would help remedy that. This may just also be a limitation of the viewpoint.