Misty Mountains

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

How does this image make you feel? Is it pleasing to the eye?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This photo was shot during a very chaotic evening in the Dolomites. Fog was rolling in and out at speeds I have never seen before. The moments were fleeting and I had to be extremely focused to pull off the shot.

Technical Details

This was shot at ISO 800 with an 8 second shutter speed at F8 using a Fujifilm GFX100S.

Specific Feedback

Thoughts on color and reproduction of details would be appreciated. I would also like to know what you think about the overall visual appeal of the image.

2 Likes

The image is pretty moody, so it makes me feel a bit forlorn. The fog is a nice touch! =)

1 Like

Hey Matthew,

First of all lovelly mood. The fog give it such mistical load and the light on the rocks (even this subtle) creates some very good anchor points for the eye and for those mountain and textures that contrast so nicelly with the softness of the fog (or clouds).

I’m not a huge fan of the colour, i would go with a more blueish tone or “cold temperature” overall, to me there seems to be a little too much of magenta.
But, as always this is my humble opinion. :slight_smile:

Also i would push that subtle light on the mountain a bit to create more attention on those gorgeous textures.

Witnessing this view must have being and amazing experience.
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I think this is amazingly dramatic, with the long shutter speed giving the fog a wonderful mystique! The highlighted clouds in the BG have such special tonalities.

My only slight nit is that the cloud in the UL corner pulls my eye a bit out of the image. If it suits your ethics, it could be interesting to reduce it a bit by cloning some blue sky over it with several slightly different passes at maybe 20-30% opacity.

1 Like

First reaction…it is pleasing to look at, there is a some great visual interest along with a sense of mystery provided by the fog. Something about it though doesn’t seem totally “unified” as a whole…it might be the blue of the sky visible in the upper left. It’s a small thing for me, but that sky makes me feel like it should be a sunnier/happier day, but the mountains and clouds are shaded and darker and more mysterious.

Overall though, I think this is a very good image! Well done.

1 Like