Misty Mountain Morning

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I think I like the mood of the image. I am not sure the image has an obvious subject and worry a bit about being cliche’. The mist rising from the valleys is the intended subject, though I worked hard to achieve contrast within each major ridgeline - and also keep them receding.

Creative direction

I really like the B&W work of Joel Truckenbrod. I discovered his photography earlier this year after listening to him on Matt Payne’s podcast. Since then, his website has expired and the last remnant of his work is on the show notes for that interview. I hope he is ok .

I love color. But when color doesn’t add value, I think B&W can be interesting in the way it reveals different light and dark tones. Here, the color version really didn’t sing, but greyscale was better.

Specific Feedback

I am open to any and all. I’ve spent a lot of time with this image - so it is hard for me to see any longer. Technical, Aesthetic, etc. comments are all welcome. And, I have a reasonably thick skin - so can take whatever you have.

Technical Details

Shot with a Nikon D750 with 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 @ 180mm. 1/250 sec at f/14 with ISO at 100. The result was a bit underexposed and I had some noise to battle, so I used ACR AI Denoise - which worked great.

I did a fair amount of curves adjustment to bring out the contrast of the receding hills. I was not able to get an effective mask on the foreground, so had to do quite a bit of pixel pushing to get the mask right.

Description

I was exploring the Smoky Mountains mid-October - a busy time in the NP. The preceding evening was raining and we woke up to a moody day. This view awaited on the way down the foothills mountains toward river level.

2 Likes

I too like the mood Bill. Your B&W processing looks great and this has a wonderful sense of depth with the light and layering ridgelines. Fog and mist is always a plus in my book so I am enjoying that element as well. My only suggestion would be to clone out those two intruding branches in the LRC. Great job on this!

1 Like

Nice scene, Bill. Your title reminded me of a Led Zeppelin song, “Mist Mountain Hop.” Playing it right now. I agree with @Ed_Lowe about the LRC. Overall I get a feeling of peace. Well done.

1 Like

Welcome to Landscape Bill! This is a wonderful first post here, and I love the layering. Great job on moving from dark to light, and the BW conversion works perfect. That’s just the right amount of sky drama for my taste, given the way the layers build lighter as you move deeper into the image.

I too would work on minimizing those LRC branches. If you prefer to not clone, you could just darken them so they didn’t eye grab.

1 Like