A Still Misty Morning

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I headed into Cades Cove in Great Smoky Mountains NP one misty morning as soon as the gate opened. Since I was well ahead of the crowds, I was able to drive slowly through the park. I stopped several times and took images and then came upon this scene. Knowing cars were soon coming in search of bears, I stopped, composed and took this image from my truck. Fortunuatly there were no cars coming; I sat in the truck for several minutes, enjoying my coffee and drinking in this peaceful scene.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7 1/160 sec f/11 ISO 64 Edited in PS with just a tweak on lowering the highlights and adding a subtle vignette.

2 Likes

Oh I’d have stopped, too. Such lovely mist and the shape of the tree is so pleasing. I’d have sat with it for a while, too. I like your processing, too, not heavy-handed. A light touch suits the scene very well.

1 Like

Wow you really found a great subject. Everything including processing is excellent IMHO. Hope you don’t mind, I played around with a couple other possible crops.

No worries, Michael, always interested in others vision.

Hi Gary - I really enjoyed your image. This tree has a lot of character, and I like how you’ve caught it with the leaves just starting to emerge. I think they add some texture to the subject without obscuring the limbs and branches, which, for me at least, make the tree really interesting.

1 Like

This was one of the only trees in late May in an early state of bloom, which caught my eye.

Hi Gary, I like the simplicity of this image. I can see how you stayed for a bit and sipped your coffee, what a lovely way to start your day! I was in Cades Cove last year, and alas we had little to no mist.
I think the tree stands out just enough from the mist and I like your color balance.

1 Like

Very nice image…I like the simplicity, colors. It is an image that I would feel comfortable printing and hanging and one that I don’t think I would tire of…really nice job!

1 Like

Really nice foggy mood image here, Gary! :slight_smile:

What else can I say, it’s an image that just works well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wonderful. Thanks Gary for giving me and other NPNers the chance to relish and enjoy this soft and expressive scene as well.

Such calming mood, and the tree stands out against the background like finely-wrought jewelry. It’s a beautiful image, beautifully processed. A true pleasure to view.

My only thought might be that there is a little too much white space above the tree. I like @Michael_Lowe’s crops, though the horizontal version feels a tad too tight. Perhaps something in-between?

And how lovely that there seems to be a little bird perched on the lowest hanging branches to the left of the trunk - or is it my imagination?

1 Like