Just Exhale

In March of 2020, we took our daughter and son-in-law to Maui, for his first visit to Hawaii. Staying in a condo complex that had become our favorite, we were able to get a unit right at the beach, where the sea wall was a part of the lanai which overlooked the small, secluded bay on which the complex was located. When we first arrived and walked through the unit to get our first look at the ocean and bay, as if on cue to welcome us, a mother and baby whale began breaching about 400 yards offshore. Needless to say, my son-in-law was thrilled. During the week, we had many more whale sightings around the island and across our bay and the waterway between Maui and Lanai, but none as impactful as our last sighting.

While on that trip, we also continued to hear more and more information about the spread of this Novel Coronavirus – Covid-19. We became increasingly concerned about the expanding pandemic and what that might mean for our return trip to mainland. As a physician I was also spending more vacation time on what had become daily phone calls with the hospital teams, developing Covid-19 care plans for our patients and staff.

On the day before our return to Arizona, I was sitting out on the Lanai trying to soak in the last bit of the ocean view, when the first of a group of whales rounded the point of the bay. By the time I saw the fourth whale of the group, I was running to grab my camera and managed to capture this image. I was stunned by what I was seeing, as all of the whales in this small pod surfaced at the same time, with spouts appearing in unison. They continued past the opening of the bay, but never again surfaced in the same pattern.

I still look back in awe at that moment, beautiful and stunning on its own, but in the context of what was going on in the world at that time, it was a fitting lesson or maybe prophecy, delivered powerfully from marvels of natural world. One week later, the state of Hawaii closed its borders to vacation travelers. Masks and social distancing became the new normal.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I wish I had more time and experience to have readjusted settings some, but it was one of those exciting moments. I did see your recent webinar and now when out looking for animals I follow your recommendations.

Technical Details

Nikon D300s with Nikon 18-200 mm f 3.5-5.6, at 200 mm, ISO 200, f / 8.0, 1/250 sec. Processing with LR

Zero critique here! Just stopping by to say what an amazing capture of a truly unique moment!

Marlin,

Having lived on the big island for 10 years and been on the water with these amazing animals, I can feel this moment with you. I think the image speaks for itself in terms of capturing them breathing all at the same time. Which does not happen very often.

I am also caught by the metaphors of Covid…breathe and take a breath while we unwind ourselves from the pandemic. The story is incredible and just when you think you are on your last moment of a trip, nature sets the hook again!

I am only here to make suggestions as I truly believe in fellow photogs being empowered to like what they like and see what they see.

Couple of things…
I am going to encourage you to get that shutter speed up because hand holding at 1/250 of a second puts you in a vulnerable position…what if one of them breached? So maybe have you base camera settings with a higher ISO and under-exposing so you always have more shutter speed room. Then when unexpected things happen, you nail it.

Also, when I get excited I cannot hold a camera steady at 1/250, maybe you can, so I make sure I always have enough default shutter speed to make up for my inability to always be on point and sudden habitat changes.

The rock outcropping actually looks like a Humpy surfacing with that little wavelet looking like blow…so that is kind of cool in this shot.

I’d suggest cropping that sky out of there and making this a panoramic and putting the emphasis on the multiple blows. Not sure if you can see it but there is also a slight rainbow in the background on the left. Play with some other crops taking out the outcropping and see if you like it. I think you have multiple shots inside this one image.

As for editing, I would think about making the water darker and the blows whiter so they stand out from the back ground even more. Make that water a tad bluer and darker as to separate it from the blows.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any questions.

What an awesome moment to witness!

David,
Thank you for looking in. It really was a special sight!

Julie,
Thank you for looking so closely at this image and for the suggestions. I was a very inspiring moment and given the events that followed, nature’s example of perfect social distancing.

I have looked a several crops, but not removing the sky completely. I also like the suggestions about darkening and “bluing” the water to bring out the blows. I did try that some but pulled back thinking the changes might be too radical.

Since your webinar here, I have been less conservative about bringing up the ISO, so I can bring up the shutter speed and compensate for my shaking hands.

Can’t wait to get back there for more adventures!

yes it is an incredible moment…that many blows at the same time. Go with what you like best…we all do it differently. Little edit tweaks that keep it natural can make a big difference. Don’t worry so much about ISO…your camera sensor can handle it and so can the sharpening software.

Thank you again! Here is a pano after trying some your suggestions. Certainly leaves no doubt as to the subject of the image. I will sit with this awhile and try some other crops leaving in some of the outcropping to show the splash, although so far I like this one best.

Marlin…

This is so cool! The only thing that matters is what you like the most. This really showcases the blows and you could tell a great story showing all the versions of it.

Julie

I love where this is going. I have sat on this for a long time, trying to figure out how to make it better. So, Thank you so much for doing these critiques!