Killdeer

Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic + Technical

About This Image

I like the pose I got, with the lifted leg and slight head turn. I seem to have difficulty getting Killdeer shots I like, so I was pleased with the look this one gave me.

Feedback Requested

Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

Camera: Canon R5
Lens: 100-500
Focal length: 500 mm
Shutter speed: 1/1000
Aperture: 7.1
ISO: 400

Allen, this is a fine catch, especially with the lifted leg and slight head turn. I also like the clarity and detail in the water at its feet and the bits of reflection. The blue/black water works well the the bird’s colors while the lighting really shows off its feathers and eye ring.

1 Like

This may be the first killdeer photo I’ve seen where it’s been in the water, Allen! I know all my shots have been on dry land, often a long way from the water! I like the pose with the raised leg. I’d be tempted to try bringing down the brighter areas a trifle, though I don’t think they’re blown out.

2 Likes

Hi Allen, nice walking pose and I like the water ripples. Love the red eye ring in this species. I do think some of the areas on the bird are blown. Not sure if they could be tamed enough in the RAW. Fine catch.

1 Like

Hi Allen
Very nice capture and very nicely composed in the frame.
You might try to reduce the highlights if you can particularly around the thigh.

Love it

Huw

1 Like