L Bracket for Canon

Thank you Woody. Did you change the tilt head on your monopod to arca -swiss from Manfrotto quick release?

I do the same as Diane mentions above - slide the left side of my RRS bracket out a little to make another handle. I find itā€™s great for video - keeps things more stable. Iā€™ve used L-brackets since 2013 and wonder why I went so long without one. Having a RRS ball head helps since thereā€™s no conversion involved. Not sure why Manfrotto bucked the trend for so long.

1 Like

Manfrotto does have an L bracket now but it has their quick release.

Sorry for the late reply. The Manfroto tilt head was used when I got it but apparently ARCA-Swiss straight from the factory. I have an Andoer tilt head that isnā€™t as sturdy feeling but does just as well ā€“ and was a lot less expensive.

I have been using L-brackets for years. The RRS bracket is excellent. I bought an eBay Chinese cheapie for a Nikon 5500 I used to own. It did not quite fit into my quick release, so a little JB Weld and a file made it fit to perfection. Seeing as it only cost about $12 and worked just fine, it was worth a little extra work.

Hi @Brian_Murphy!

I also have an L-bracket mounted most of the time to my Canon body. Itā€™s not an RRS or Kirk, rather a cheaper Chinese version, but itā€™s doing very good. Fits great, no loose screws, can access all the ports on the left-hand side of the body, including remote release cable socket.

I only take it off when I leave my tripod at home. For example, when Iā€™m going mostly hiking and doing some scouting in the meantime, I like to use a Capture system (from Peak Design) that allows me to snap a camera onto one of my backpack straps. It allows me to have a camera always at hand and it works good even when I have a 70-200 mm lens mounted. But, thereā€™s a caveat. It requires slightly different plate than L-bracket to fit into the holder. So, I change my L-bracket into other Arca Swiss type one, which fits Capture gear. I wish these two could work better together, so I didnā€™t have to unscrew L-bracket and later on screw it back in.

Otherwise - I also canā€™t recommend it enough. Add a nodal slide and youā€™re looking into a very lightweight vertical panorama setup that you can fit even into smaller bags (excluding tripod).

I also have one smaller Manfrotto tripod with their quick release system, and it surprisingly fits the same plate as the Capture system, but I use it mostly for city-to-city trips, when I donā€™t expect brutal weather. Mafrotto uses very often their own plate standard - not sure why, to be honest.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Adrrzej. I appreciate your help.

1 Like