Learning to Learn by Guy Tal

Excerpt from the Article:

Workshops have become a popular pastime and an important revenue source for many photographers in recent years. In terms of their goals and design, workshops range from photographic education on one extreme to a specialized form of commercial tourism on the other extreme. Very few workshops fall squarely at the former (educational) end. Most workshop fall at or very close to the latter (photo-tourism) end. Between the two, you may find offerings that attempt to combine educational (classroom-based) content, targeting certain topics and skill levels, with location (field-based) work. If you wish to attend a photographic workshop, your highest priority should be to ensure that the workshop you pick aligns with your goals, skill level, and the degree of effort you are willing to invest.

My goal in teaching workshops is to help already-technically-experienced photographers learn creative and expressive skills: skills they may later employ and continue to evolve independently in pursuing their own photographic work, in other places and circumstances. To that end, my workshops include both classroom sessions and field sessions, and I urge participants to prioritize exercising the skills learned in class over pursuing trophy photographs, while providing them opportunities to do both so they can balance the two to match their comfort level.

Continue reading in Nature Vision…

2 Likes

HI Guy, A quick note to tell you I enjoyed reading your article in Nature Vision Magazine. I will be attending a photography conference in late August, and like your suggestions about trying to get the most out of the trip. I like the idea of challenging myself to learn the new techniques, and not worry so much about getting the perfect shot. Thanks for a timely and interesting article!

Thank you very much, Mary! I hope your time at the conference will be productive and enjoyable.